This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China’s Ministry of Public Security shared last week that it has started taking fingerprints of all foreign visitors. The measure has been described as an important step in managing entries and exits into the nation as it ramps up its border security.
The security measures were implemented at Shenzhen airport (SZX) last Friday (February 10) and will affect all foreign tourists visiting China aged 14-70. The new policy will soon be rolled out to other points of entry. Though China’s just begun to collect biometric information upon entry, fingerprinting foreign tourists is not entirely unusual — Argentina, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, the US and other nations employ this practice.
As a reminder, if you’re planning to visit China (or any other country that requires a visa), TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa to simplify what can be a complex process. Mention The Points Guy on your order form to get a $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards