China Has Begun Fingerprinting Tourists Entering the Country
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China’s Ministry of Public Security shared last week that it has started taking fingerprints of all foreign visitors. The measure has been described as an important step in managing entries and exits into the nation as it ramps up its border security.
The security measures were implemented at Shenzhen airport (SZX) last Friday (February 10) and will affect all foreign tourists visiting China aged 14-70. The new policy will soon be rolled out to other points of entry. Though China’s just begun to collect biometric information upon entry, fingerprinting foreign tourists is not entirely unusual — Argentina, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, the US and other nations employ this practice.
As a reminder, if you’re planning to visit China (or any other country that requires a visa), TPG recommends using a third-party service like Allied Passport & Visa to simplify what can be a complex process. Mention The Points Guy on your order form to get a $5 discount just for TPG readers.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.