British Airways Hosts Airborne VIP Mardi Gras Concert
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A long-haul transatlantic flight can seem pretty dull most of the time, but on Friday, British Airways hosted an aerial concert headlined by Nicole Sherzinger of The Pussycat Dolls to celebrate the launch of its upcoming service to New Orleans.
Sherzinger performed for the 180 passengers who were aboard the BA flight from London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY). Jazz artist Yolanda Brown also performed — as did Cherise Adams-Burnett, Jamie Brownfield and Quinn Oulton, who won the carrier’s busking competition this winter — while fashion models Jodie Kidd, Danielle Peazer and Emma Louise Connolly and British TV stars Oliver Proudlove and Georgia Toffolo were part of the star-studded flight. Check out the video below to see what it was like.
Guests aboard the flight were also treated to a New Orleans-inspired Creole menu, as well as signature cocktails from the Shoreditch Drinking Den.
Since the tickets for this VIP charter could only be purchased by bidding for them on eBay, the passengers knew exactly what they were getting — 10% of the winning bid price also went to British Airways’ partner charity, Flying Start. Bidders were able to select from among three New Orleans hotels at which to spend the duration of their stay, which varied in price and location around the city. The group left The Big Easy Monday afternoon, returning to London.
The weekend charter served as a sneak preview of British Airways’ regular service to New Orleans, which will commence March 27th and run four times a week — on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday — aboard its Boeing 787-8 aircraft. No other airline currently flies nonstop between New Orleans and Europe, so this will be a great option for those wanting to travel between the two cities. Fares will start at $675 for World Traveler (economy) seats, $1,162 for World Traveler Plus (premium economy), and $2,182 for Club World (business class).
While BA’s cruising altitude concert was unique, it certainly wasn’t a first. Since 2013, Southwest Airlines has hosted artists aboard some of its flights as part of its “Live at 35 (thousand feet)” series, including performances by Better Than Ezra, The Black Cadillacs, Cassadee Pope, and Matt Nathanson.
Featured image courtesy of Nick Morrish via British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.