British Airways Hosts Airborne VIP Mardi Gras Concert
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A long-haul transatlantic flight can seem pretty dull most of the time, but on Friday, British Airways hosted an aerial concert headlined by Nicole Sherzinger of The Pussycat Dolls to celebrate the launch of its upcoming service to New Orleans.
Sherzinger performed for the 180 passengers who were aboard the BA flight from London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY). Jazz artist Yolanda Brown also performed — as did Cherise Adams-Burnett, Jamie Brownfield and Quinn Oulton, who won the carrier’s busking competition this winter — while fashion models Jodie Kidd, Danielle Peazer and Emma Louise Connolly and British TV stars Oliver Proudlove and Georgia Toffolo were part of the star-studded flight. Check out the video below to see what it was like.
Guests aboard the flight were also treated to a New Orleans-inspired Creole menu, as well as signature cocktails from the Shoreditch Drinking Den.
Since the tickets for this VIP charter could only be purchased by bidding for them on eBay, the passengers knew exactly what they were getting — 10% of the winning bid price also went to British Airways’ partner charity, Flying Start. Bidders were able to select from among three New Orleans hotels at which to spend the duration of their stay, which varied in price and location around the city. The group left The Big Easy Monday afternoon, returning to London.
The weekend charter served as a sneak preview of British Airways’ regular service to New Orleans, which will commence March 27th and run four times a week — on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday — aboard its Boeing 787-8 aircraft. No other airline currently flies nonstop between New Orleans and Europe, so this will be a great option for those wanting to travel between the two cities. Fares will start at $675 for World Traveler (economy) seats, $1,162 for World Traveler Plus (premium economy), and $2,182 for Club World (business class).
While BA’s cruising altitude concert was unique, it certainly wasn’t a first. Since 2013, Southwest Airlines has hosted artists aboard some of its flights as part of its “Live at 35 (thousand feet)” series, including performances by Better Than Ezra, The Black Cadillacs, Cassadee Pope, and Matt Nathanson.
Featured image courtesy of Nick Morrish via British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees