This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways just kicked off a new transfer bonus. Now through March 8, you’ll get a 35% bonus when you transfer hotel points into British Airways Avios. However, this offer comes with a catch that keeps it from being useful for clearing out small hotel point balances: You have to transfer a minimum number of hotel points in order to get the bonus.
The minimum transfer requirement depends on the hotel program:
- Club Carlson — 2,000 points
- Hilton HHonors — 10,000 points
- Hyatt Gold Passport — 5,000 points
- IHG Rewards — 10,000 points
- Marriott Rewards — 10,000 points
- Shangri-La Golden Circle — 2,500 points
- Starwood Preferred Guest — 2,500 points
The transfer ratio varies between these hotel programs. So, figuring out if this bonus is a good deal takes a bit of math:
|Bonus|| Value Given Up
|Club Carlson||0.4||10 : 1||35%||2.96|
|Hilton HHonors||0.5||10 : 1||35%||3.70|
|Hyatt Gold Passport||1.8||2.5 : 1||35%||3.33|
|IHG Rewards||0.7||5 : 1||35%||2.59|
|Starwood Preferred Guest||2.7||1 : 1.25
|Amex Membership Rewards||1.9||5 : 4||N/A||2.38|
|Chase Ultimate Rewards||2.1||1 : 1||N/A||2.10|
Of these partners, Starwood is the best option. If you transfer 20,000 SPG Starpoints (worth $540 according to TPG’s most recent valuation), you’ll get the standard 5,000 transfer bonus from Starwood — meaning 25,000 Avios will hit your British Airways account in about five days. After the 35% bonus is applied, you’ll end up with a total of 33,750 Avios from this transfer. Transferring increments of 20,000 Starpoints, this means you’re getting a 69% transfer bonus.
However, based on TPG’s most recent valuation of British Airways Avios (1.5 cents each), these 33,750 Avios are worth ~$506. So, despite this seemingly great bonus, you’re still losing value on paper. But, if you maximize British Airways’ distance-based charts or utilize sweet spots on partner flights, you can end up with a lot more than 1.5 cents in value from your Avios.
But, there’s a partner left off of the chart above, and it offers some of the best options — especially at higher transfer rates. Marriott and British Airways have two transfer charts, one for transfers of fixed values between 10,000 and 140,000 points and the Marriott Hotel + Air Package. Combined, here’s how these charts factor into this promotion:
|Value of Avios
*Plus a seven-night stay at a Marriott Category 1-5 hotel
If you’re planning to use the seven-night hotel stay, you can get incredible value out of the Marriott Hotel + Air Package option. If you transfer 270,000 Marriott points, you’re getting an approximately equivalent value of Avios — plus a free seven-night stay at a Marriott hotel.
Note that the terms and conditions warn that “Bonus Avios can take 4-6 weeks to show on your account from the date of conversion.” So, make sure you don’t have an immediate need for these bonus Avios. If you’re in need of British Airways Avios quickly for a redemption, there are more immediate sources of points: British Airways is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards (instantaneous transfer time) and Chase Ultimate Rewards (instantaneous transfer time).
Whether or not you should take advantage of this promotion depends heavily on how you’ll use your British Airways Avios. If you’ve got plans for a high-value redemption, transferring Starpoints (in increments of 20,000 points) or transferring at least 250,000 Marriott points for a Marriott Hotel + Air Package can make a lot of sense. However, we wouldn’t recommend transferring hotel points to British Airways speculatively during this promotion. Apart from Marriott and Starwood, the other participating hotel programs don’t provide a good value due to unfavorable transfer ratios.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Featured image courtesy of British Airways.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees