Flash Sale: Up to a 67% Bonus When You Buy United Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Earning airline miles using the traditional method (actually flying) is just one option for growing your account balance. While it’s increasingly difficult to earn miles from flying, airlines make it relatively easy to accrue miles without flying — whether through top credit card offers or by utilizing shopping portals and dining rewards programs. If these methods leave you short of your travel goals, you can also purchase miles directly from an airline.
Just two weeks after its last promotion expired, United is offering another bonus when you buy MileagePlus miles. You’re going to have to move quickly to take advantage of this one: Now through February 9, you’ll get up to a 67% bonus when purchasing or gifting United MileagePlus miles.
The regular price for buying United miles is 3.76 cents per mile ($35 per 1,000 miles plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax). But, this promotion will drop the price down to just 2.25 cents per mile if you purchase at least 30,000 miles.
Here are the sweet spots of this promotion:
- 5,000 + 1,000 bonus miles (20% bonus) for $188 (3.14 cents per mile)
- 15,000 + 6,000 bonus miles (40% bonus) for $564 (2.69 cents per mile)
- 30,000 + 20,100 bonus miles (67% bonus) for $1,129 (2.25 cents per mile)
And, here’s how to take advantage of the promotion:
- Visit United’s Buy Miles page.
- Click on Buy Personal Miles.
- Enter your United MileagePlus account number and last name.
- Select the number of miles you want to buy and fill in the required information to finalize your purchase.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing United miles apply to this promotion, including the following:
- You must purchase at least 2,000 miles. Miles may be purchased in increments of 1,000 miles.
- Members can only purchase 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Miles may take up to 48 hours to post to your account.
- Purchased or gifted miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier status.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, the Chase Freedom Unlimited‘s 1.5x Ultimate Reward points would be the most rewarding choice.
Is It Worth It?
In his latest valuations, TPG pegs United miles at 1.5 cents each. However, if you’re looking to redeem for business or first-class awards, you can certainly get better value out of these miles. For example, you can get up to 3.25 cents per mile in business class between Newark (EWR) and Los Angeles (LAX). Redemption on partner airlines — such as Thai Airways — can provide even more value.
Generally, though, it’s going to be difficult to find many award options that top the purchase rate. If you have Chase Ultimate Rewards, transferring UR points to United is another appealing option. Taking TPG’s miles and points valuation as a guide, utilizing Ultimate Rewards valued at 2.1 cents each would be better than buying United miles — even at the best rate of 2.25 cents each. Plus, you’re likely to have the miles immediately after transferring instead of having to wait for “48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.”
If you’re short on Ultimate Rewards points, you can still get a 100,000-UR point sign-up bonus on the Chase Sapphire Reserve if you apply in branch by March 12. If you’re looking for a card with less than a $450 annual fee (even though it’s totally worth it), you can also consider the 50,000-point sign-up bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, which has a waived annual fee for the first year.
Although a 67% bonus sounds appealing, United’s standard buy miles rate is so high that it takes a significant bonus to make a mileage purchase worth considering. Unfortunately, this promotion isn’t going to be right for most travelers. However, if you’re looking to top off your account for a high-value redemption, the ability to get as little as 50,000 United miles at a pretty good rate can make sense.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Will you be taking advantage of this promotion?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees