This Beer Is Brewed Specifically to Be Enjoyed at 35,000 Feet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you’re cruising at 35,000 feet, it’s no secret that your taste buds are a little off. Your favorite Biscoff cookies might not have the same sweetness you’re used to, and your favorite Chardonnay might taste different from what you’re used to getting on the ground. While some airlines have mastered — or at least come close to mastering — the art of cooking at 35,000 feet, the one thing that’s usually ignored when it comes to in-flight dining is the beverage service.
Enter Betsy Beer, a game-changing beverage that’s brewed specifically for when you’re flying, created by Cathay Pacific and the Hong Kong Beer Co.
The beer, named “Betsy” after the Hong Kong-based airline’s first Douglas DC-3 aircraft, is now being served to first- and business-class passengers on select routes. From March 1 to April 30, 2017, Cathay Pacific will offer Betsy on flights between Hong Kong (HKG) and Heathrow (LHR), and Gatwick (LGW) and Manchester (MAN). Betsy will also be available at the carrier’s lounges in Hong Kong (HKG) and Heathrow (LHR) for a limited time, as well as in a select number of Swire-owned restaurants in Hong Kong, such as Mr & Mrs Fox, Café Gray Deluxe, Plat du Jour, Public, Sugar and The Continental.
Betsy Beer features a number of locally-sourced ingredients from both Hong Kong and the UK, such as “Dragon Eye” fruit, New Territories-sourced honey and Fuggle, a British hop. After extensive research by an expert tasting panel, Cathay Pacific and the Hong Kong Beer Co. believe this is the perfect beer for you and your in-flight taste buds.
Overall, it’s nice to see an airline showing some love to this often-overlooked selection and coming up with a specially-designed beer to make up for it. Cheers!
Featured image courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.