This Beer Is Brewed Specifically to Be Enjoyed at 35,000 Feet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you’re cruising at 35,000 feet, it’s no secret that your taste buds are a little off. Your favorite Biscoff cookies might not have the same sweetness you’re used to, and your favorite Chardonnay might taste different from what you’re used to getting on the ground. While some airlines have mastered — or at least come close to mastering — the art of cooking at 35,000 feet, the one thing that’s usually ignored when it comes to in-flight dining is the beverage service.
Enter Betsy Beer, a game-changing beverage that’s brewed specifically for when you’re flying, created by Cathay Pacific and the Hong Kong Beer Co.
The beer, named “Betsy” after the Hong Kong-based airline’s first Douglas DC-3 aircraft, is now being served to first- and business-class passengers on select routes. From March 1 to April 30, 2017, Cathay Pacific will offer Betsy on flights between Hong Kong (HKG) and Heathrow (LHR), and Gatwick (LGW) and Manchester (MAN). Betsy will also be available at the carrier’s lounges in Hong Kong (HKG) and Heathrow (LHR) for a limited time, as well as in a select number of Swire-owned restaurants in Hong Kong, such as Mr & Mrs Fox, Café Gray Deluxe, Plat du Jour, Public, Sugar and The Continental.
Betsy Beer features a number of locally-sourced ingredients from both Hong Kong and the UK, such as “Dragon Eye” fruit, New Territories-sourced honey and Fuggle, a British hop. After extensive research by an expert tasting panel, Cathay Pacific and the Hong Kong Beer Co. believe this is the perfect beer for you and your in-flight taste buds.
Overall, it’s nice to see an airline showing some love to this often-overlooked selection and coming up with a specially-designed beer to make up for it. Cheers!
Featured image courtesy of Cathay Pacific.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.