American Airlines Unofficially Delays Launch of Premium Economy Class of Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/27/17: Once premium economy launches as a separate class of service, premium economy travelers will now get priority boarding (Group 4).
Great news for those looking to fly American Airlines premium economy while only paying for an economy ticket: American Airlines has unofficially delayed the launch of the premium economy class of service from April 2 to at least May 4. Although these seats were previously only available as part of economy through April 1, AA’s premium economy cabin seats are now blocked from being selected on the following dates:
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — São Paulo (GRU): effective May 4
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Madrid (MAD): effective May 4
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Paris (CDG): effective May 4
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Seoul (ICN): effective May 5 [no flight on May 4]
Until these dates, premium economy seats will continue to be treated as Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seating. What this means is — for at least the next 10 weeks — you can fly in premium economy seats and get premium economy service for the cost of an economy ticket. However, depending on your elite status, you might have to pay more to choose a Main Cabin Extra seat.
For those with American Airlines Platinum or Executive Platinum elite status, you can select MCE seats for free at anytime. AA Gold elites have the option of paying 50% of the standard rate up until 24 hours before departure, at which time selecting MCE seats becomes free. If you don’t have status, you’ll have to pay the standard rate to choose these seats — unless you can convince a gate agent to give you complimentary access.
Pricing for Main Cabin Extra generally varies based on the route. However, the premium seems to be the same across all four routes where American Airlines has premium economy products: $163-211 each way, depending on the seat. Middle-bulkhead seats are the cheapest at $163, while seats next to the Dreamliner’s glorious windows will set you back $211.
In the wake of AA starting to sell Basic Economy tickets on Tuesday, we asked an American Airlines spokesperson when premium economy would officially go on sale. Unfortunately, AA can’t share anything official at this time. So, the best indication that we have about when premium economy will launch is just from looking at these seat maps.
Have you tried premium economy on any of American Airlines’ international routes?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.