This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives are notoriously difficult (and expensive) to get to — especially when you’re trying to use points and miles. But, beginning in November 2017, there’ll be a new option for award travel to the Maldives when Air France launches nonstop service from Paris.
The new route, which will operate 2x weekly throughout the year, will connect Paris (CDG) and Male (MLE) as of November 1, 2017. Here’s the route schedule:
- AF222 Paris (CDG) 8:50pm Departure ⇒ Male (MLE) 10:20am +1 Arrival — Wednesday and Saturday
- AF223 Male (MLE) 1:05pm Departure ⇒ Paris (CDG) 7:35pm Arrival — Thursday and Sunday
The new route will be operated by one of Air France’s 777-200 aircraft. The 772 has three cabins — 16 flat-bed seats in business, 24 seats in premium economy and 276 seats in economy.
As for redeeming your Flying Blue points for an award, there don’t appear to be many options as of this writing. According to the Flying Blue mileage calculator, a one-way economy award from Paris will cost you 30,000 Flying Blue miles, premium economy will cost you 60,000 miles one-way and business will run you 75,000 miles — assuming you’re also able to find availability on a flight from the US to CDG, expect to redeem between 40,000 and 45,000 miles each way for economy, 80,000 for premium economy and 100,000 miles for business to get all the way to MLE.
You can book an award ticket on this route as of now, however, there doesn’t appear to be any saver-level business-class availability. In addition, there doesn’t appear to be any partner award availability for this route at this time.
As a reminder, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points, Citi ThankYou points and Amex Membership Rewards points to Air France’s Flying Blue program. If you’re looking for a good points and miles redemption for getting to the Maldives, this new Air France nonstop route could prove to be a great option, assuming the airline decides to add low-level business award space.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees