This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives are notoriously difficult (and expensive) to get to — especially when you’re trying to use points and miles. But, beginning in November 2017, there’ll be a new option for award travel to the Maldives when Air France launches nonstop service from Paris.
The new route, which will operate 2x weekly throughout the year, will connect Paris (CDG) and Male (MLE) as of November 1, 2017. Here’s the route schedule:
- AF222 Paris (CDG) 8:50pm Departure ⇒ Male (MLE) 10:20am +1 Arrival — Wednesday and Saturday
- AF223 Male (MLE) 1:05pm Departure ⇒ Paris (CDG) 7:35pm Arrival — Thursday and Sunday
The new route will be operated by one of Air France’s 777-200 aircraft. The 772 has three cabins — 16 flat-bed seats in business, 24 seats in premium economy and 276 seats in economy.
As for redeeming your Flying Blue points for an award, there don’t appear to be many options as of this writing. According to the Flying Blue mileage calculator, a one-way economy award from Paris will cost you 30,000 Flying Blue miles, premium economy will cost you 60,000 miles one-way and business will run you 75,000 miles — assuming you’re also able to find availability on a flight from the US to CDG, expect to redeem between 40,000 and 45,000 miles each way for economy, 80,000 for premium economy and 100,000 miles for business to get all the way to MLE.
You can book an award ticket on this route as of now, however, there doesn’t appear to be any saver-level business-class availability. In addition, there doesn’t appear to be any partner award availability for this route at this time.
As a reminder, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points, Citi ThankYou points and Amex Membership Rewards points to Air France’s Flying Blue program. If you’re looking for a good points and miles redemption for getting to the Maldives, this new Air France nonstop route could prove to be a great option, assuming the airline decides to add low-level business award space.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees