This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives are notoriously difficult (and expensive) to get to — especially when you’re trying to use points and miles. But, beginning in November 2017, there’ll be a new option for award travel to the Maldives when Air France launches nonstop service from Paris.
The new route, which will operate 2x weekly throughout the year, will connect Paris (CDG) and Male (MLE) as of November 1, 2017. Here’s the route schedule:
- AF222 Paris (CDG) 8:50pm Departure ⇒ Male (MLE) 10:20am +1 Arrival — Wednesday and Saturday
- AF223 Male (MLE) 1:05pm Departure ⇒ Paris (CDG) 7:35pm Arrival — Thursday and Sunday
The new route will be operated by one of Air France’s 777-200 aircraft. The 772 has three cabins — 16 flat-bed seats in business, 24 seats in premium economy and 276 seats in economy.
As for redeeming your Flying Blue points for an award, there don’t appear to be many options as of this writing. According to the Flying Blue mileage calculator, a one-way economy award from Paris will cost you 30,000 Flying Blue miles, premium economy will cost you 60,000 miles one-way and business will run you 75,000 miles — assuming you’re also able to find availability on a flight from the US to CDG, expect to redeem between 40,000 and 45,000 miles each way for economy, 80,000 for premium economy and 100,000 miles for business to get all the way to MLE.
You can book an award ticket on this route as of now, however, there doesn’t appear to be any saver-level business-class availability. In addition, there doesn’t appear to be any partner award availability for this route at this time.
As a reminder, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points, Citi ThankYou points and Amex Membership Rewards points to Air France’s Flying Blue program. If you’re looking for a good points and miles redemption for getting to the Maldives, this new Air France nonstop route could prove to be a great option, assuming the airline decides to add low-level business award space.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees