Air France to Launch New Service Between Paris and the Maldives
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Maldives are notoriously difficult (and expensive) to get to — especially when you’re trying to use points and miles. But, beginning in November 2017, there’ll be a new option for award travel to the Maldives when Air France launches nonstop service from Paris.
The new route, which will operate 2x weekly throughout the year, will connect Paris (CDG) and Male (MLE) as of November 1, 2017. Here’s the route schedule:
- AF222 Paris (CDG) 8:50pm Departure ⇒ Male (MLE) 10:20am +1 Arrival — Wednesday and Saturday
- AF223 Male (MLE) 1:05pm Departure ⇒ Paris (CDG) 7:35pm Arrival — Thursday and Sunday
The new route will be operated by one of Air France’s 777-200 aircraft. The 772 has three cabins — 16 flat-bed seats in business, 24 seats in premium economy and 276 seats in economy.
As for redeeming your Flying Blue points for an award, there don’t appear to be many options as of this writing. According to the Flying Blue mileage calculator, a one-way economy award from Paris will cost you 30,000 Flying Blue miles, premium economy will cost you 60,000 miles one-way and business will run you 75,000 miles — assuming you’re also able to find availability on a flight from the US to CDG, expect to redeem between 40,000 and 45,000 miles each way for economy, 80,000 for premium economy and 100,000 miles for business to get all the way to MLE.
You can book an award ticket on this route as of now, however, there doesn’t appear to be any saver-level business-class availability. In addition, there doesn’t appear to be any partner award availability for this route at this time.
As a reminder, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points, Citi ThankYou points and Amex Membership Rewards points to Air France’s Flying Blue program. If you’re looking for a good points and miles redemption for getting to the Maldives, this new Air France nonstop route could prove to be a great option, assuming the airline decides to add low-level business award space.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.