AA Regional Jet Makes Emergency Landing After Striking a Deer in Charlotte
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines regional jet was forced to make an emergency landing after striking a deer during its takeoff roll on a runway at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) today around noon. The plane was headed to Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport (GPT) with 44 passengers and four crew members on board.
After the flight crew declared an emergency, the plane performed a flyover so airport personnel on the ground could check for damage that would endanger the plane during landing. The aircraft was allegedly trailing some sort of vapor from its right wing, but was able to land safely and all on board were evacuated safely.
— Ely Portillo (@ESPortillo) February 15, 2017
Upon landing, it was determined that the mysterious vapor leaking from the CRJ-700 was indeed jet fuel, so it was sprayed with flame retardant and then then towed off the runway, allowing it to reopen to other traffic about two hours after the strike. The airport is planning to investigate how the deer was able to get around the almost 20 miles of barbed wire-topped fencing surrounding the airport site.
Between 1990 and 2015, encounters between animals and airplanes have destroyed nearly 10 planes a year. Although the total number strikes in the US has increased dramatically according to the FAA, the number of damaging strikes has decreased, though dramatic instances (Sully, anyone?) has brought much attention to the issue.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.