This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines regional jet was forced to make an emergency landing after striking a deer during its takeoff roll on a runway at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) today around noon. The plane was headed to Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport (GPT) with 44 passengers and four crew members on board.
After the flight crew declared an emergency, the plane performed a flyover so airport personnel on the ground could check for damage that would endanger the plane during landing. The aircraft was allegedly trailing some sort of vapor from its right wing, but was able to land safely and all on board were evacuated safely.
— Ely Portillo (@ESPortillo) February 15, 2017
Upon landing, it was determined that the mysterious vapor leaking from the CRJ-700 was indeed jet fuel, so it was sprayed with flame retardant and then then towed off the runway, allowing it to reopen to other traffic about two hours after the strike. The airport is planning to investigate how the deer was able to get around the almost 20 miles of barbed wire-topped fencing surrounding the airport site.
Between 1990 and 2015, encounters between animals and airplanes have destroyed nearly 10 planes a year. Although the total number strikes in the US has increased dramatically according to the FAA, the number of damaging strikes has decreased, though dramatic instances (Sully, anyone?) has brought much attention to the issue.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees