Zodiac Hopes to Add Custom Scents to Your Onboard Experience
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the competition to improve the passenger experience, cabin developer Zodiac Aerospace is appealing to your sense of smell. Speaking to Runway Girl Network, the aviation manufacturer announced the launch of FIVE, a cabin diffusion system designed to deliver custom fragrance to passengers.
FIVE uses dry scents and self-sealing scent cartridges to distribute fragrances throughout the cabin, while flame arrestors ensure the system is safe to use on board. Zodiac says that the system could be certified for use by both the Federal Aviation Administration and the European Aviation Safety Agency.
Although airlines have been using scent combinations to improve the passenger experience for years, applying a signature smell to an aircraft cabin is a much newer concept. For example, Singapore Airlines has utilized a scent named “Floridian Waters” on warm towels; Delta Air Lines has been experimenting with signature scents in Sky Club lounges since 2013; and United plans to use a fragrance in lavatories and towels aboard its new fleet of Polaris-equipped Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. The FIVE system differs in that it would deliver a scent throughout a plane cabin.
While the FIVE diffuser system has yet to be installed in a commercial aircraft cabin, Zodiac is reportedly shopping the innovation around to both commercial and private aviation consumers.
How would you feel about a signature scent on board your next flight?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.