Europe’s First Underwater Museum Has Opened Off the Coast of Spain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Art lovers who don’t mind getting a little wet now have a new destination to add to their travel bucket lists: Europe’s first underwater museum, Museo Atlántico, (the Atlantic Museum), located just off the coast of Lanzarote Island in Spain’s Canary Islands.
The brainchild of British sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor, the museum officially opened to the public last March, but only reached completion earlier this month — altogether, it took about two years to create. As the name suggests (and you’d probably expect), the only way to see it is to go underwater, so snorkelers and divers are in for a real treat — the museum hosts daily diving tours from several location on Lanzarote, with prices starting at about $49. It’s comprised of more than 300 sculptures, which sit on the seafloor about 40-50 feet below the waters of Las Coloradas Bay. The pieces are all made of eco-friendly concrete, all of which were created by deCaires Taylor.
For deCaires Taylor, the museum is as much about education as it is about art; the sculptures are meant to form part of an artificial reef as time passes, creating a breeding ground for species native to its waters. “I want it to inspire people to understand more about our oceans and the threats facing it,” he told CNN. The artist — who has created similar pieces for underwater installations in the Bahamas, Mexico and Grenada — views the museum as a chance for visitors to see the world in a whole new way. “The whole idea was for it to become a portal to another world,” he explained. From the photos we’ve seen, he has certainly achieved that. Take a look at how the museum was created in the video below.
Image courtesy of Museo Atlántico’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.