Europe’s First Underwater Museum Has Opened Off the Coast of Spain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Art lovers who don’t mind getting a little wet now have a new destination to add to their travel bucket lists: Europe’s first underwater museum, Museo Atlántico, (the Atlantic Museum), located just off the coast of Lanzarote Island in Spain’s Canary Islands.
The brainchild of British sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor, the museum officially opened to the public last March, but only reached completion earlier this month — altogether, it took about two years to create. As the name suggests (and you’d probably expect), the only way to see it is to go underwater, so snorkelers and divers are in for a real treat — the museum hosts daily diving tours from several location on Lanzarote, with prices starting at about $49. It’s comprised of more than 300 sculptures, which sit on the seafloor about 40-50 feet below the waters of Las Coloradas Bay. The pieces are all made of eco-friendly concrete, all of which were created by deCaires Taylor.
For deCaires Taylor, the museum is as much about education as it is about art; the sculptures are meant to form part of an artificial reef as time passes, creating a breeding ground for species native to its waters. “I want it to inspire people to understand more about our oceans and the threats facing it,” he told CNN. The artist — who has created similar pieces for underwater installations in the Bahamas, Mexico and Grenada — views the museum as a chance for visitors to see the world in a whole new way. “The whole idea was for it to become a portal to another world,” he explained. From the photos we’ve seen, he has certainly achieved that. Take a look at how the museum was created in the video below.
Image courtesy of Museo Atlántico’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.