Watch the World’s Largest Propeller Plane Create a Sandstorm on a Dirt Runway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Antonov Design Bureau builds big. The airframe manufacturer brought to life the world’s largest airplane, the 6-engine, 32-wheel An-225. It also built the world’s largest turboprop, the An-22. By 2010, however, the Soviet-era oversized cargo hauler had all but disappeared from service until last year, when a single airframe was leased to be reintroduced for cargo missions in Europe, Central Asia and Africa.
In this crazy aviation video, you’ll catch a rather spectacular view of the immense prop plane landing on an unpaved dirt runway at Gao airport (GAQ) in the Republic of Mali to deliver cargo from an undisclosed European location. This particular aircraft has the unique capability of landing (and taking off) on short, unpaved runways that couldn’t handle heavy jets. As the plane touches down, its enormous and heavy propellers create a ‘sandstorm’ on the dusty landing strip. You’re going to want to turn the sound up for this one. . .
Have you ever witnessed this giant aircraft in person?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.