This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN JANUARY 2017
JetBlue Continues Expansion with Three New Routes (launched January 4 and 5)
Details — JetBlue launched three new routes this month: Long Beach (LGB) to San Jose (SJC) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Aruba (AUA), which both launched on January 4, and Orlando (MCO) to Los Angeles (LAX), which launched on January 5.
Schedule (4x daily)
- B826 Long Beach (LGB) 7:20am Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 8:40am Arrival
- B825 San Jose (SJC) 9:21am Departure ⇒ Long Beach (LGB) 10:38am Arrival
- B1626 Long Beach (LGB) 11:08am Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 12:27pm Arrival
- B1625 San Jose (SJC) 1:08pm Departure ⇒ Long Beach (LGB) 2:26pm Arrival
- B1926 Long Beach (LGB) 4:10pm Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 5:29pm Arrival
- B1925 San Jose (SJC) 6:10pm Departure ⇒ Long Beach (LGB) 7:28pm Arrival
- B726 Long Beach (LGB) 7:16pm Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 8:36pm Arrival
- B725 San Jose (SJC) 6:56am Departure ⇒ Long Beach (LGB) 8:14am Arrival
- B1411 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 11:46am Departure ⇒ Aruba (AUA) 3:34pm Arrival
- B1412 Aruba (AUA) 3:30pm Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 6:30pm Arrival
- B131 Orlando (MCO) 7:28pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 10:19pm Arrival
- B132 Los Angeles (LAX) 11:10pm Departure ⇒ Orlando (MCO) 6:55am (+1) Arrival
Los Angeles (LAX) – Havana (HAV) on Alaska Airlines (launched January 5)
Details — Alaska Airlines became the first carrier to serve the West Coast with daily nonstop flights to Havana (HAV) from Los Angeles (LAX), operated by the carrier’s 737-900ER. If you’re planning to make the trip from Seattle (SEA), where Alaska Airlines is headquartered, there’s a special connecting flight available between SEA and LAX to help make that flight to Havana more accessible.
- AS286 Los Angeles (LAX) 8:50am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 4:55pm Arrival
- AS287 Havana (HAV) 5:55pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 8:45pm Arrival
Orlando (MCO) – Santiago (SCL) on LATAM (launched January 4)
Details — On January 4, LATAM launched new long-haul flights between Orlando (MCO) and Santiago (SCL), making it the only carrier to fly nonstop on this particular route. Flights will be operated on Wednesday and Thursday until March 1 by LATAM’s 787-8 and 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.
Schedule (2x per week)
- LA511 Orlando (MCO) 10:15am Departure ⇒ Santiago (SCL) 8:55pm Arrival
- LA510 Santiago (SCL) 12:30am Departure ⇒ Orlando (MCO) 7:20am Arrival
Reno (RNO) – Dallas (DAL) on Southwest (launched January 7)
Details — Earlier this month, Southwest began flying from to Reno-Tahoe (RNO) to Dallas Love Field (DAL) once per week on Saturday, making it the only airline with nonstop service on this particular route.
Schedule (1x per week)
- WN2365 Reno (RNO) 11:00am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DAL) 4:05pm Arrival
- WN2303 Dallas (DAL) 11:00am Departure ⇒ Reno (RNO) 12:30pm Arrival
Chicago (ORD) – Key West (EYW) on United (launched January 7)
Details — United recently added its first new flight in 2017 from Chicago (ORD) to Key West (EYW). Seasonal Saturday service began January 7 on its Embraer RJ-170 and will run through April 29, 2017.
Schedule (1x per week)
- UA3672 Chicago (ORD) 10:40am Departure ⇒ Key West (EYW) 2:50pm Arrival
- UA3674 Key West (EYW) 3:26pm Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 5:55pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN JANUARY 2017
Air India to Launch Service From Washington D.C. (IAD) to Delhi (DEL)
Details — This July, Air India will start its thrice-weekly service from Washington, D.C. (IAD) to Delhi (DEL), although the full schedule has yet to be released. [Update 4/24/17: The full schedule now appears below.] The carrier also offers nonstop flights from Delhi to Chicago (ORD), New York (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO).
- AI104 Washington DC (IAD) 11:00am Departure ⇒ Delhi (DEL) 10:30am (+1) Arrival
- AI103 Delhi (DEL) 1:15am Departure ⇒ Washington DC (IAD) 7:15am Arrival
Southwest Will Offer Two New International Routes This Spring
Details — Southwest is continuing to grow its international presence with new once-daily service from San Diego to Los Cabos International Airport, Mexico, starting April 25 and Fort Lauderdale to Grand Cayman service beginning June 4.
Schedule (1x daily)
- WN1213 San Diego (SAN) 9:55am Departure ⇒ Los Cabos (SJD) 1:10pm Arrival
- WN1214 Los Cabos (SJD) 2:05pm Departure ⇒ San Diego (SAN) 3:05pm Arrival
- WN1215 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 11:45am Departure ⇒ Grand Cayman (GCM) 12:20pm Arrival
- WN1216 Grand Cayman (GCM) 1:15pm Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 4:00pm Arrival
LOT Polish Airlines Announces Flights from Chicago (ORD) to Krakow (KRK)
Details — Starting July 2, LOT Polish Airlines will begin nonstop service from Chicago (ORD) to Krakow (KRK). The Polish flagship carrier will operate a Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the 9-10 hour flight. It’ll also be launching flights this April from Los Angeles (LAX) and Newark (EWR) to Warsaw (WAW).
Schedule (1x per week)
- LO10 Chicago (ORD) 5:25pm Departure ⇒ Krakow (KRK) 9:45am (+1) Arrival
- LO9 Krakow (KRK) 11:50am Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 2:50pm Arrival
Emirates is Adding Service Between Newark (EWR) and Athens (ATH)
Details — Emirates just announced it’ll be adding a fun fifth freedom route, with new daily service from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) beginning March 12 on its Boeing 777-300ER. From Athens, the plane will then continue on to Dubai (DXB).
- EK210 Newark (EWR) 11:45pm Departure ⇒ Athens (ATH) 4:00pm (+1) Arrival
- EK209 Athens (ATH) 5:30pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 10:00pm Arrival
Alaska Airlines is Adding New Flights from Portland to Albuquerque, Baltimore, Milwaukee and Philadelphia
Details — Alaska Airlines recently announced plans to launch four new flights from Portland (PDX) to Albuquerque (ABQ), Baltimore (BWI), Milwaukee (MKE) and Philadelphia (PHL). Service to Albuquerque starts August 18 and continues year round, while service to Baltimore (starting June 6), Milwaukee (starting June 5) and Philadelphia (starting May 22) will be seasonal through August 25 and 26, 2017.
- AS2794 Portland (PDX) 8:00am Departure ⇒ Albuquerque (ABQ) 11:45am Arrival
- AS2795 Albuquerque (ABQ) 5:55pm Departure ⇒ Portland (PDX) 7:55pm Arrival
- AS372 Portland (PDX) 9:30am Departure ⇒ Baltimore (BWI) 5:38pm Arrival
- AS373 Baltimore (BWI) 4:50pm Departure ⇒ Portland (PDX) 7:32pm Arrival
- AS3422 Portland (PDX) 11:10pm Departure ⇒ Milwaukee (MKE) 5:02am (+1) Arrival
- AS3437 Milwaukee (MKE) 7:15am Departure ⇒ Portland (PDX) 9:47am Arrival
- AS946 Portland (PDX) 8:39pm Departure ⇒ Philadelphia (PHL) 4:50am (+1) Arrival
- AS945 Philadelphia (PHL) 6:05am Departure ⇒ Portland (PDX) 8:47am Arrival
Delta Expands Seattle Hub With Flights to Several Cities
Details — Several nonstop routes from Seattle (SEA) to Austin (AUS), Kauai (LIH), Milwaukee (MKE), Nashville (BNA), and Raleigh (RDU) were announced by Delta earlier this month — flights to Milwaukee will begin March 9, while the Nashville route starts May 26, Raleigh-Durham on June 8, Austin on June 12 and Kauai on December 21. Delta has yet to release the flight schedule for the new SEA–LIH route. The carrier will also offer nonstop flights between SEA and Eugene, Oregon (EUG), as well as Redmond, Oregon (RDM) starting in April and June, respectively.
- DL4910 Seattle (SEA) 5:05pm Departure ⇒ Milwaukee (MKE) 10:54pm Arrival
- DL4917 Milwaukee (MKE) 7:55am Departure ⇒ Seattle (SEA) 10:22am Arrival
- DL1384 Seattle (SEA) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ Austin (AUS) 11:00pm Arrival
- DL2045 Austin (AUS) 7:00am Departure ⇒ Seattle (SEA) 9:00am Arrival
- DL1165 Seattle (SEA) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ Nashville (BNA) 11:15pm Arrival
- DL1088 Nashville (BNA) 7:30am Departure ⇒ Seattle (SEA) 10:20am Arrival
- DL2540 Seattle (SEA) 11:30am Departure ⇒ Raleigh (RDU) 7:32pm Arrival
- DL2556 Raleigh (RDU) 7:00am Departure ⇒ Seattle (SEA) 9:40am Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured image of Havana courtesy of Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel