London Visitors Could Soon Pay a New Tourism Tax
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re thinking about traveling to London, now could be a good time in terms of what it’ll cost you — given the favorable exchange rates. However, that might not be the case for long, as London could impose a new tourism tax.
Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, endorsed the move by the London Finance Commission, which would give the government more power over taxes. Local authorities could decide if they want to impose the tax, which would be used toward infrastructure and environmental improvements in the city. The increased tax would fall on tourists, who could see up to a 5% increase on their hotel stays.
The up to 5% tax wouldn’t be anything new. Other tourism taxes, such as the one in Berlin, charge tourists an extra 5% on their bill as well. Opponents of the bill believe that the extra fee will discourage tourists from visiting the city, especially in light of Brexit.
We won’t know for a while if the tax is actually implemented, but with Khan’s support, that’s a major obstacle crossed. If approved, the tax would still be a long way off. Plus, the up to 5% tax probably wouldn’t be a deal breaker in the eyes of many tourists — especially since it’s nothing new in other parts of Europe.
Would a London tax discourage you from visiting?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.