London Visitors Could Soon Pay a New Tourism Tax
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re thinking about traveling to London, now could be a good time in terms of what it’ll cost you — given the favorable exchange rates. However, that might not be the case for long, as London could impose a new tourism tax.
Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, endorsed the move by the London Finance Commission, which would give the government more power over taxes. Local authorities could decide if they want to impose the tax, which would be used toward infrastructure and environmental improvements in the city. The increased tax would fall on tourists, who could see up to a 5% increase on their hotel stays.
The up to 5% tax wouldn’t be anything new. Other tourism taxes, such as the one in Berlin, charge tourists an extra 5% on their bill as well. Opponents of the bill believe that the extra fee will discourage tourists from visiting the city, especially in light of Brexit.
We won’t know for a while if the tax is actually implemented, but with Khan’s support, that’s a major obstacle crossed. If approved, the tax would still be a long way off. Plus, the up to 5% tax probably wouldn’t be a deal breaker in the eyes of many tourists — especially since it’s nothing new in other parts of Europe.
Would a London tax discourage you from visiting?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.