This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
About a year ago I shared that Spirit Airlines was going to shrink the size of their allowed free personal carry-on item as per their website’s information. However, they changed their mind and those rules didn’t ultimately go into effect in 2016 as they originally stated.
But, Spirit is once again set to introduce new and smaller personal item dimensions effective April 2017. I have to imagine they won’t change their minds at the last minute again.
Currently the one free personal item (purse, small backpack, etc.) that you can bring on a Spirit Airlines flight must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches.
Effective April 4, 2017, the Spirit airlines free personal item must not be larger than 18 x 14 x 8 inches, including handles, wheels, etc.
To put this into practical terms, a traditional Jansport Right Pack backpack that we have probably all seen on countless high school students backs measures 18 x 13 x 8.5 according to the company’s website. While that is technically 1/2 an inch over the new rules in one direction, I have to assume that width is just based on how it is packed, and it could easily be compliant…assuming Spirit really measures personal items that closely anyway, which I haven’t really seen them do in the past.
For those curious, American’s free personal item size via their forthcoming Basic Economy fares is non-coincidentally also 18 x 14 x 8. Spirit will now downgrade their overall carry-on size to align with American’s offering on their Basic Economy fares.
While we are on the topic of Spirit, their PreCheck capabilities are now live! Will the new Spirit Airlines personal item size rules require you to go shopping for a new smaller personal item?
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that