This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether it’s in first class, business class or even economy, one of the best ways to fly over the Pacific is Japan Airlines. And, today, award availability on Japan Airlines just opened up significantly! We’re seeing award availability on many of Japan Airlines’ US routes, with the best availability between New York’s JFK and Tokyo’s NRT.
Fly in economy, premium economy or business class on Japan Airlines’ 787-9 Dreamliner from Boston (BOS) to Tokyo (NRT):
Economy, premium economy or business on the 787-8 Dreamliner from Dallas (DFW) to NRT:
But, the best award availability seems to be between New York’s JFK and NRT. For example, many Sunday-Thursdays have award availability in May:
There’s availability on most flights and in most of the cabins:
Miles To Use
One of the top ways to book Japan Airlines flights is also the newest: using Alaska MileagePlan miles. Not only are the rates very reasonable, but you can also add a free stopover in Tokyo on your way to or from another destination in Asia.
The Japan Airlines economy product is excellent. This is especially true on JAL’s 787 Dreamliners, since Japan Airlines only installed eight seats across vs. nine-wide on most other airlines.
However, splurging an extra 5,000 miles for premium economy is miles well spent. In addition to better food, drink and service, you’ll also get a very comfortable seat with a fair amount of privacy.
As with most award redemptions, premium cabins are where you’re going to get the most value. And Japan Airlines features some of the best premium cabins in the sky, as you can see in this review.
Japan Airlines is an excellent way of flying between the US and Japan. And booking Japan Airlines flights with Alaska miles is a great use of Alaska miles — especially if you maximize the booking by adding a stopover. So, this is a great deal. As award availability can dry up at any time, make sure to move quickly if you’re interested in booking these awards.
H/T: View from the Wing
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards