This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates is currently offering discounted first-class fares to many of the airline’s destinations worldwide, including Milan (MXP), Dubai (DXB) and Bangkok (BKK). As part of this promo, you can get up to an additional $500 off the price of a round-trip first-class ticket to many destinations when you book by January 17 and travel by June 30, 2017. In order to receive your additional discount, make sure you enter promo code EKFIRST when you’re making your flight selections.
Even with the additional $500 discount, the prices we’ve been seeing on Emirates’ site are pricey to say the least. On the airline’s fifth-freedom route between New York (JFK) and Milan (MXP), you’d have to pay $4,592 for the round-trip itinerary, even after the discount is applied.
Prices go up rapidly from there — a round-trip first-class ticket between New York (JFK) and Dubai (DXB) will cost you a staggering $13,194 if you were to pay in cash.
If you want to fly in opulence but don’t like the idea of shelling out several thousand dollars to do so, there are several ways to use points and miles to book this super-luxurious experience for just a little bit of money out-of-pocket. Ever since Alaska’s major devaluation for Emirates awards, your best option for booking first-class Emirates awards is to use Japan Airlines Mileage Bank miles, which can be transferred from Starwood Preferred Guest at a 1:1 ratio.
Instead of paying thousands of dollars, you could use just 100,000 JAL Mileage Bank miles (80,000 Starpoints) for a first-class award between JFK and Milan, and 135,000 JAL miles (110,000 Starpoints) for a first-class trip between JFK and Dubai. JAL’s mileage levels are already lower than most other Emirates partner airlines, and the 5,000-mile bonus for every 20,000 Starpoints you transfer make the awards an even better value.
Have you experienced Emirates’ first class?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.