Deal Alert: US to Iceland from $249 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Wow Air announced $69 flights from the US to Europe last week, but even though those extremely low fares are gone, we’re still seeing cheap flights to Wow’s hub in Reykjavik (KEF). You can fly from Boston (BOS) and Baltimore (BWI) to Reykjavik (KEF) for just $250 round-trip while fares from San Francisco are $280 round-trip and flights from Miami (MIA) are $300 round-trip. Availability is fairly limited for departures from January through May 2017.
Keep in mind that Wow Air is a budget airline so you’ll be paying extra fees if you want to choose your seat or check a bag, but we’ve had good experiences with Wow. If you’re using Google Flights to find your desired itinerary, you may have to take advantage of the separate tickets feature in order to find the cheapest prices.
Airline: Wow Air
Route: BOS, BWI, MIA and SFO to REK
Cost: $250+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January – May 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Baltimore (BWI) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $250 round-trip in February:
Boston (BOS) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $250 round-trip in February:
San Francisco (SFO) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $280 round-trip in April:
Miami (MIA) to Reykjavik (KEF) for $299 round-trip in February:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Iceland courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: Thrifty Traveler
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.