This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Qatar Airways is running an amazing sale, with flights from the US to Asia starting from just $446 round-trip. This promotion is part of Qatar’s Travel Festival sale, which also includes incredible business class fares on the carrier. Most major cities are on sale — you can click here to find the list of your desired departure city and possible destinations. Qatar is certainly one of the better ways to fly to Southeast Asia, and is a Oneworld carrier as well, meaning you can credit the miles earned to your American AAdvantage account.
Note that in order to take advantage of this promotion, you must book your tickets from now through 11:59pm on January 18, 2017. While the sale applies to fares all the way through mid-December, there are several blackout dates to be aware of between June 15 and July 1, and from August 15 to September 10, 2017.
Airline: Qatar Airways
Route: US to Asia
Cost: $446+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January – December 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $446 round-trip in February:
New York City (JFK) to Yangon (RGN) for $487 round-trip in April:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Jakarta (CGK) for $490 round-trip in February:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Yangon courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards