This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
In case you missed the huge sale last Friday from New York and Miami to a variety of Spanish cities, you have another chance to book these great deals! This time Air Europa and Iberia are having a huge sale on flights from New York (JFK) to many Spanish destinations including Alicante (ALC), Barcelona (BCN), Bilbao (BIO), Madrid (MAD), Mallorca (PMI), Tenerife (TFN) and Valencia (VLC).
You’ll find that the cheapest flights are to Madrid (MAD) — $331 round-trip from New York (JFK) — but you’ll find sub-$400 fares to the rest of the destinations included in this sale as well. You can even get to the Canary Islands for under $350 round-trip! Availability is somewhat limited in March, so be sure to use Google Flights to find your ideal itinerary.
Airline: Air Europa, Air Nostrum, American, British Airways, Iberia
Route: JFK to ALC, BCN, BIO, MAD, PMI, TFN, VLC
Cost: $331+ round-trip
Dates: March 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $331 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Valencia (VLC) for $359 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Bilbao (BIO) for $359 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Tenerife (TFN) for $343 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image of Madrid courtesy of Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards