This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Here’s a fantastic opportunity to visit the typically pricey Canary Islands for much less than usual. We’re seeing fares from the end of February through March 2017 starting at just $394 round-trip from several US cities including New York (JFK), Boston (BOS) and Miami (MIA). Depending on your home city, your flights will be either on Air Europa or Iberia to Tenerife (TFN).
There’s a good amount of availability on these routes on both airlines — perfect if you’re trying to earn status with American (credit Iberia flights to AAdvantage) or Delta (credit Air Europa flights to SkyMiles). We’re seeing especially good availability out of Miami — search for your desired dates on Google Flights and then complete booking on your carrier’s site.
Airline: Air Europa, Iberia
Route: JFK, BOS, and MIA to MAD, TFN
Cost: $394+ round-trip in economy
Dates: February – March 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Tenerife (TFN) for $394 round-trip in March on Iberia:
Boston (BOS) to Tenerife (TFN) for $413 round-trip in March on Iberia:
Miami (MIA) to Tenerife (TFN) for $434 round-trip in March on Air Europa:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Tenerife, Spain courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards