This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Citi Prestige
One of the most valuable credit card benefits out there comes from the Citi Prestige Card. The 4th Night Free benefit can net you some serious savings — in fact, it saved TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig $1,490 from a single hotel booking!
But, that savings pales in comparison to some new Prestige information that Citi just released to TPG. According to the issuer, the most expensive fourth night rebated on the Citi Prestige in 2016 was a $4,554 hotel stay in Santorini, Greece! That’s right, one cardholder saved $4,554 on a single stay booked with their Prestige card — that’s more than 10x the annual fee.
As a reminder, when you use the Citi Prestige Card to book four or more paid nights at any hotel in the world, you’ll receive the amount paid for the fourth night as a statement credit on your account. In order to be eligible, the reservation must be made by calling the Citi Concierge at the number on the back of the card. The card comes with a $450 annual fee, but as you can see in the examples above, that fee can easily be nullified by the amount you can save with the 4th Night Free benefit.
Here are some more stats from Citi about the Prestige Card and its benefits:
- The 4th Night Free benefit saved cardholders a lot of money — on average, more than $300 per night.
- About two-thirds of 4th Night Free rebates occurred at properties outside the US.
- With the Priority Pass Select membership that comes with the card, one cardholder used the lounge access 106 times last year.
As you can see, there’s immense value to be had here with the Citi Prestige Card and its benefits. In fact, TPG himself used the 4th Night Free benefit on his recent trip to Nihiwatu, which is ranked as the No. 1 hotel in the world, and saved more than $1,300 with the rebate.
As you may remember, last year Citi announced that it was lowering the sign-up bonus, changing the 4th Night Free benefit to equal the average of the entire stay (not the cost of the actual fourth night), dropping Admirals Club access and eliminating the annual three rounds of golf benefit. However, the card still offers a fantastic value and could be worth signing up for.
Currently, Citi Prestige comes with a sign-up bonus of 40,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months. In addition to the 4th Night Free benefit, you’ll also get $250 in air travel credit and a credit every five years for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. In all, when you account for the value to be had from the air travel credit as well as the possible savings from the 4th Night Free perk, you essentially can save more than what you’re paying for the annual fee.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.