This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Did you miss out on earning United elite status through January 2018? Well, check your inbox — UA’s sending out offers to buy status, just as American began doing late last year.
One TPG contributor who earned Gold status in 2015 but will be dropping to the “Member” (everybody else) level at the end of this month received the following offer:
Yes, $1,399 is a tremendous amount to pay for United Premier Silver status, which many thousands of customers can actually get for free through the Marriott RewardsPlus partnership. With that program, Marriott Platinum members can get United Silver status without any flying at all — and since Marriott is now instantly matching Starwood elite status, this offer applies to SPG Platinum members as well.
Not only that, but we value United Silver status at just $920 — and that’s assuming you fly enough to earn it through flight purchases. Getting $1,399 in value from this status level is a long shot, so your ~$1,400 is better spent on flights — or something else altogether.
What was your United status purchase offer?
H/T: Eric L.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards