Amex Business Platinum Launches New Sign-Up Bonus: Earn Up to 75k Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN
For the last few months, the Business Platinum Card from American Express has been offering a sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points (after you spend a total of $15,000 in the first three months). As expected, that offer’s just ended, and Amex has replaced it with a slightly less lucrative offer. Now, new cardholders can earn up to 75,000 points — but they’ll need to spend significantly more.
With the previous 100k offer, you’d earn 50,000 points after spending $5,000 in the first three months — plus another 50,000 points after spending an additional $10,000 in that same time period. With the current offer, however, you’ll only earn 50,000 points after making $10,000 in purchases in the first three months, and the additional 25,000 points come after you spend another $10,000, also within the first three months.
Of course, this is a business card, and as such it’s targeted to users who generally charge more than personal cardholders might. Depending on your situation, spending $20,000 in the first three months to earn the full 75,000-point bonus could be quite doable — but in any case this offer is a real step down from the previous one, both in terms of points haul and spending thresholds.
That’s not to say earning the sign-up bonus can’t score you some great travel redemptions. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, 75,000 Membership Rewards points are worth $1,425, and you could get even more value out of them if you transferred your points to a travel partner such as Singapore Airlines and booked a premium-cabin award flight.
Plus, sign-up bonus aside, the Business Platinum Card is more appealing than ever, now that it offers a 50% points rebate when you book airfare through Amex Travel. You’ll get half your points back when you book a flight in any class of service on the same airline you’ve selected for the annual $200 airline fee credit, and when you book a business or first-class flight with any carrier. This rebate effectively gets you 2 cents per point toward airfare — a very solid deal, especially since these bookings still earn you redeemable miles and elite status credit. You’ll also have access to tons of other perks, including Amex’s network of Centurion Lounges.
This offer is clearly a big step down from the previous sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 points. Not only is the rewards haul smaller, but you’ll also need to spend quite a bit more to earn even 50,000 points. Still, if you can easily charge $20,000 in purchases to the Business Platinum Card from American Express, it could be worth signing up now — and regardless of the bonus, the 50% points rebate makes it a great option for flight redemptions.
Will you be taking advantage of this sign-up bonus?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees