Amex Business Platinum Launches New Sign-Up Bonus: Earn Up to 75k Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN
For the last few months, the Business Platinum Card from American Express has been offering a sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points (after you spend a total of $15,000 in the first three months). As expected, that offer’s just ended, and Amex has replaced it with a slightly less lucrative offer. Now, new cardholders can earn up to 75,000 points — but they’ll need to spend significantly more.
With the previous 100k offer, you’d earn 50,000 points after spending $5,000 in the first three months — plus another 50,000 points after spending an additional $10,000 in that same time period. With the current offer, however, you’ll only earn 50,000 points after making $10,000 in purchases in the first three months, and the additional 25,000 points come after you spend another $10,000, also within the first three months.
Of course, this is a business card, and as such it’s targeted to users who generally charge more than personal cardholders might. Depending on your situation, spending $20,000 in the first three months to earn the full 75,000-point bonus could be quite doable — but in any case this offer is a real step down from the previous one, both in terms of points haul and spending thresholds.
That’s not to say earning the sign-up bonus can’t score you some great travel redemptions. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, 75,000 Membership Rewards points are worth $1,425, and you could get even more value out of them if you transferred your points to a travel partner such as Singapore Airlines and booked a premium-cabin award flight.
Plus, sign-up bonus aside, the Business Platinum Card is more appealing than ever, now that it offers a 50% points rebate when you book airfare through Amex Travel. You’ll get half your points back when you book a flight in any class of service on the same airline you’ve selected for the annual $200 airline fee credit, and when you book a business or first-class flight with any carrier. This rebate effectively gets you 2 cents per point toward airfare — a very solid deal, especially since these bookings still earn you redeemable miles and elite status credit. You’ll also have access to tons of other perks, including Amex’s network of Centurion Lounges.
This offer is clearly a big step down from the previous sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 points. Not only is the rewards haul smaller, but you’ll also need to spend quite a bit more to earn even 50,000 points. Still, if you can easily charge $20,000 in purchases to the Business Platinum Card from American Express, it could be worth signing up now — and regardless of the bonus, the 50% points rebate makes it a great option for flight redemptions.
Will you be taking advantage of this sign-up bonus?
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees