This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been nearly 20 years since Joy Behar was part of the debut of the morning talk show “The View.” Here, the veteran comedian discusses how American travelers will be received overseas during the Trump era, reveals her favorite weekend getaway and shares why she avoids red-eye flights. As always, we should note that the views of celebrities do not represent those of The Points Guy.
What was your favorite trip?
Years ago, we went to Germany for Oktoberfest. That was a lot of fun. I love Western Europe. I have gone back and forth to Italy a number of times. Italy is the best place to visit. You have everything you need there. The food is incredible and the people are beautiful. France is another great country to visit.
It was pleasant traveling during the ‘90s since the world loved and embraced Americans. What do you think it will be like for Americans traveling in other parts of the world with Donald Trump as President?
I think it will be fine. At least I hope it will be fine. Maybe it will be like when George W. Bush was President. A person came up to me in Europe and said something about Bush and then said, ‘you’re one of the good Americans.’ I think people around the world understand there are many Americans that didn’t vote for Donald Trump. They see what went on here. Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by millions. The world understands.
You’re the lone original member of “The View,” which celebrates its 20th anniversary next year.
Can you believe it? It’s been an unbelievable experience or I wouldn’t still be with the show. I love the women on the show. They’re smart and funny. I get to do the show and I get some time off.
Speaking of time off, do you prefer to have a window or aisle seat?
Aisle. I know I’ll have to go to the bathroom. I don’t want to climb over children.
Daytime or red-eye flight?
Daytime. One time I went to Europe and we left at four in the afternoon and touched down in the middle of the night. We arrived at 2:00am. That was horrible. It can be unpleasant on the red-eye. That’s why I avoid it.
Favorite weekend escape?
I like to escape to Europe as much as possible. I need to get out of the city. Another great weekend escape I think people overlook is Bucks County, which is just outside Philadelphia. It’s a great place to go if you’re a New Yorker and only about an hour from Manhattan so it’s a short hop. I love the cabaret scene in New Hope. I know it well from doing my one-woman show in Bucks County and the audience was amazing. There are lots of nice people there.
Featured image of Joy Behar on The View courtesy of Fred Lee via Getty Images.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.