This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Already, Starwood Preferred Guest offers members some unique partnerships, such as its Crossover Rewards with Delta, bonus Starpoints for Uber rides and Your World Rewards with Emirates. Now, SPG is adding an airline partner from a different part of the world with its Eastern Explorer Rewards program with China Eastern Airlines.
With the new partnership, elite members from each program can earn reciprocal benefits. SPG Gold and Platinum members earn 1 bonus Starpoint for every 4 Eastern Miles points on China Eastern flights. Likewise, Eastern Miles Gold and Platinum members earn 2 Eastern Miles points for every dollar spent on SPG stays.
In addition to the point-earning bonuses between the two programs, elite members will also have other perks when staying at a SPG property or flying with China Eastern. SPG Platinum members get Priority check-in, boarding, luggage handing, access to the China Eastern business-class lounge and excess luggage allowance. Meanwhile, Eastern Miles Platinum and Gold members get access to the elite member check-in line at hotels, 4:00pm late checkout, complimentary internet access, an upgrade to an enhanced room (if available) and a 15% or more discount on dining at participating hotels in China.
In print, the highlight for SPG Platinum members seems to be access to the China Eastern business-class lounge. However, the lounge looks to be fairly outdated and if you have access to another lounge in the terminal, that could be a better option. Nonetheless, complimentary lounge access is never a bad thing.
To link your accounts, go to the SPG promo page and log in to your SPG account. From there, you’ll sign in to your Eastern Miles account. Once your accounts are linked, you’ll be able to earn reciprocal benefits on your next SPG stay or China Eastern flight. Additionally, you can transfer Starpoints to China Eastern at a 1:1 ratio, just as you’ve been able to do in the past.
While the Eastern Explorer Rewards Program might not be the most exciting partnership for the average traveler, having one more partner further solidifies SPG’s status as one of the best elite programs out there. For those who fly with China Eastern a lot, there’s plenty to take advantage of here — from elite benefits on your flight to continued SPG benefits on your next stay.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
- Earn a $100 statement credit after you make $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn an additional $100 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card at a participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotel within your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- From now through July 31, 2018: Earn 2 Starpoints® for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other eligible purchases.
- On August 1, 2018, SPG will convert every one Starpoint in a loyalty member account to three points. In general, corresponding redemption changes will occur. Visit members.marriott.com for details.
- Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Earn free nights at over 1,500 hotels and resorts in over 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees