You Can Now Rent a Wi-Fi Hotspot From an Airport Vending Machine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Skyroam is a great tool for travelers who want to stay connected when traveling abroad. Now, the company has unveiled vending machines in select airports across the US where you can easily rent the Wi-Fi hotspot so that you can stay online in over 100 countries.
The first machine is available to use at San Francisco (SFO), with others being rolled out in Houston (IAH) and Las Vegas (LAS) later this month. Skyroam has said that it has “additional locations planned at top international airports on the East Coast and elsewhere, but none that we can specifically mention at this moment.”
Anyone passing through one of these airports can rent a hotspot for $9.95 a day. Once you’ve returned home, Skyroam provides you with a prepaid envelope in which you mail the device back. Previously, you could only purchase a hotspot for $124.99 plus the cost of Wi-Fi connectivity at $8 per day (Skyroam devices are currently on sale for $99.99). Renting could be a good way to save a few dollars when you have a quick trip abroad and want to be able to get online.
Wi-Fi hotspots provide a more straightforward internet experience as you don’t have to deal with roaming charges, unlocked phones, security issues or purchasing local SIM cards. Skyroam’s hotspot syncs with local carriers and allows secure Wi-Fi access on up to five devices simultaneously.
Have you spotted one of these Wi-Fi hotspot vending machines?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.