You Can Now Rent a Wi-Fi Hotspot From an Airport Vending Machine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Skyroam is a great tool for travelers who want to stay connected when traveling abroad. Now, the company has unveiled vending machines in select airports across the US where you can easily rent the Wi-Fi hotspot so that you can stay online in over 100 countries.
The first machine is available to use at San Francisco (SFO), with others being rolled out in Houston (IAH) and Las Vegas (LAS) later this month. Skyroam has said that it has “additional locations planned at top international airports on the East Coast and elsewhere, but none that we can specifically mention at this moment.”
Anyone passing through one of these airports can rent a hotspot for $9.95 a day. Once you’ve returned home, Skyroam provides you with a prepaid envelope in which you mail the device back. Previously, you could only purchase a hotspot for $124.99 plus the cost of Wi-Fi connectivity at $8 per day (Skyroam devices are currently on sale for $99.99). Renting could be a good way to save a few dollars when you have a quick trip abroad and want to be able to get online.
Wi-Fi hotspots provide a more straightforward internet experience as you don’t have to deal with roaming charges, unlocked phones, security issues or purchasing local SIM cards. Skyroam’s hotspot syncs with local carriers and allows secure Wi-Fi access on up to five devices simultaneously.
Have you spotted one of these Wi-Fi hotspot vending machines?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.