This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
We could all use a bit of advice when it comes to traveling smarter. Read up on these tips from one frequent flyer who logs well over 200,000 miles flown per year.
Some Amex Platinum cardholders have reported receiving unexpected gifts (usually the Amazon Echo) around the holidays this year. Did you receive something special from Amex?
With 2016 on its way out, Team TPG is looking forward to exploring both some timeless destinations as well as some off-the-beaten-path spots in 2017 — check out our full wishlist here.
The Caribbean islands of St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas are celebrating the 100th anniversary of becoming American territories in 2017. To mark the occasion, the islands are offering a pretty sweet deal to visitors next year — $300 to spend on a variety of island exploration activities once you arrive.
TPG logged an impressive 258,000+ miles in 2016, which means he spends a lot of time on the go. Check out his list of 5 items that he can’t go on a trip without.
In Other News…
Save on Select Business and Coach Awards with Flying Blue
Flying Blue has released its Promo Awards list for bookings made in January 2017 for travel from March through April 2017. While the list isn’t extensive, you can expect to save about 25% on award tickets on select flights between the US and Europe/Israel.
Emirates to Make Cuts to In-Flight Services
Emirates is making cuts to in-flight perks to save money. The airline has shared that it’s making changes to in-flight services such as eliminating first class showers on some flights, upping the price of Champagne in economy and cutting seafood special meals in economy on all flights.
Air Canada and Cathay Pacific Finalize Codeshare Agreement
Air Canada and Cathay Pacific have shared the details of a strategic cooperation agreement that will allow for codeshares and reciprocal mileage earning on each airline. You can buy tickets under the new codeshare beginning January 12, 2017, with travel starting on January 19.
AwardWallet Plus Tripling Its Price
AwardWallet will increase the cost of the paid version of its service from $10 to $30 annually. The change doesn’t go into effect until February 1, 2017, however, so if you’re already a subscriber or sign up before that date you’ll get to maintain the $10 per year pricing.
Featured image of Machu Picchu, Peru courtesy of Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards