Exciting New Airline Routes for December 2016 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN DECEMBER 2016
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Tampa (TPA) — Havana (HAV) on Southwest (launched December 12)
Details — Southwest recently launched service from Fort Lauderdale and Tampa to Havana, adding the Cuban capital as its third destination within the country. Flights run daily from both cities — Tampa has one flight per day, while Fort Lauderdale has two.
Schedule (Daily for TPA; 2x per day for FLL)
- WN3952 Tampa (TPA) 6:15am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 7:30am Arrival
- WN3953 Havana (HAV) 6:05pm Departure ⇒ Tampa (TPA) 7:25pm Arrival
- WN3922 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 11:55am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 1:00pm Arrival
- WN3923 Havana (HAV) 2:00pm Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 3:10pm Arrival
- WN3920 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 4:00pm Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 5:05pm Arrival
- WN3921 Havana (HAV) 8:30am Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 9:40am Arrival
Boston (BOS) – Montego Bay (MBJ) and Punta Cana (PUJ) on Delta (launched December 17)
Details — Great news for those looking to escape the cold: Delta has started running its seasonal service from Boston to Montego Bay, Jamaica, and Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Hop a nonstop flight once a week (on Saturdays) from now until August for a much-welcomed chance to defrost this winter.
Schedule (1x per week)
- DL1709 Boston (BOS) 10:25am departure ⇒ Montego Bay (MBJ) 2:41pm Arrival
- DL1684 Montego Bay (MBJ) 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Boston (BOS) 7:52pm Arrival
- DL950 Boston (BOS) 7:00am Departure ⇒ Punta Cana (PUJ) 12:01pm Arrival
- DL946 Punta Cana (PUJ) 12:59pm Departure ⇒ Boston (BOS) 4:03pm Arrival
Newark (EWR) – Key West (EYW) on United (launched December 16)
Details — United recently launched daily nonstop flights from its hub in Newark (EWR) to Key West, Florida (EYW), giving you another chance to warm up this winter. The airline is flying an Embraer E170 on the route now through May 4, 2017, and is the only nonstop flight from the New York City area to the southernmost point of the continental US and former home of Hemingway.
- UA3670 New York (EWR) 10:00am Departure ⇒ Key West (EYW) 1:33pm Arrival
- UA3671 Key West (EYW) 2:10pm Departure ⇒ New York (EWR) 5:26pm Arrival
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) – Dubai (DXB) on Emirates (launched December 15)
Details — Emirates started service to its 11th US city on December 15, with a new daily nonstop route from Fort Lauderdale to Dubai. The daily flights will be operated by a Boeing 777-200LR equipped with eight first-class suites, 42 business-class seats and 216 economy seats.
- EK214 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 8:20pm Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 7:40pm (+1) Arrival
- EK213 Dubai (DXB) 3:30am Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 10:55am Arrival
Las Vegas (LAS) – Beijing (PEK) on Hainan Airlines (launched December 2)
Details — Hainan Airlines is now flying its 787 Dreamliner from Beijing to Las Vegas three times per week, making it the first nonstop flight from mainland China to Sin City. Haven’t been on Hainan Airlines yet? One of our TPG staff members recently flew on the carrier’s 787 and gave its business-class product a generally good review.
Schedule (3x per week)
- HU7970: Las Vegas (LAS) 1:10pm Departure ⇒ Beijing (PEK) 6:05pm (+1) Arrival
- HU7969: Beijing (PEK) 3:00pm Departure ⇒ Las Vegas (LAS) 11:10am Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN DECEMBER 2016
Singapore Airlines to Launch Service From Moscow (DME) to Stockholm (ARN)
Details — Singapore Airlines has announced a new fifth freedom route from Moscow to Stockholm starting May 30, 2017. The carrier will operate five weekly flights between the two cities on its new A350-900 as an extension of its Singapore to Moscow route, allowing travelers to easily connect to the Swedish capital. It’s also the cheapest and shortest option for those wishing to fly on a Singapore A350.
Schedule (5x per week)
- SQ362 Moscow (DME) 7:15am Departure ⇒ Stockholm (ARN) 8:25am Arrival
- SQ361 Stockholm (ARN) 10:25am Departure ⇒ Moscow (DME) 1:30pm Arrival
Air Canada To Offer Six New Routes from the US to Canada
Details — Starting in May, 2017, Air Canada will be launching several new routes between the US and our neighbor to the north, with nonstop flights from Memphis (MEM), San Antonio (SAT) and Savannah (SAV) to Toronto (YYZ) starting May 1, 2017. Flights from Denver (DEN) and Phoenix (PHX) to Vancouver (YVR) will commence on May 18 and May 1, 2017, respectively. Air Canada will also operate flights from Dallas (DFW) to Montreal (YUL) starting May 26, 2017. With a strong US dollar, these flights could be a great way for American travelers to take advantage of the exchange rate.
Alaska and Virgin America Announce More Flights From San Francisco (SFO) to Minneapolis (MSP), Orange County (SNA) and Orlando (MCO)
Details — With the recent merger between Alaska Airlines and Virgin America, Alaska has announced new nonstop daily service from San Francisco (SFO) to Minneapolis (MSP), Orange County (SNA) and Orlando (MCO). Flights from San Francisco to Orlando and Orange County will start June 14 and 15, 2017, respectively, while the San Francisco to Minneapolis route will begin July 18.
Schedule (effective July 18):
Monday through Saturday:
- AS3370 San Francisco (SFO) 6:30am Departure ⇒ Orange County (SNA) 8:05am Arrival
- AS3371 Orange County (SNA) 8:45am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 10:13am Arrival
- AS3372 San Francisco (SFO) 10:00am Departure ⇒ Orange County (SNA) 11:35am Arrival
- AS3373 Orange County (SNA) 12:15pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 1:43pm Arrival
- AS3374 San Francisco (SFO) 2:35pm Departure ⇒ Orange County (SNA) 4:10pm Arrival
- AS3375 Orange County (SNA) 4:10pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 5:38pm Arrival
- AS3376 San Francisco (SFO) 6:40pm Departure ⇒ Orange County (SNA) 8:15pm Arrival
- AS3377 Orange County (SNA) 8:55pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 10:23pm Arrival
- AS3354 San Francisco (SFO) 11:45am Departure ⇒ Minneapolis (MSP) 5:22pm Arrival
- AS3355 Minneapolis (MSP) 6:15am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 8:20am Arrival
- AS3356 San Francisco (SFO) 6:45pm Departure ⇒ Minneapolis (MSP) 12:22am (+1) Arrival
- AS3357 Minneapolis (MSP) 3:20pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 5:25pm Arrival
Daily (effective June 14):
- VX300 San Francisco (SFO) 6:30am Departure ⇒ Orlando (MCO) 2:55pm Arrival
- VX305 Orlando (MCO) 3:50pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:40pm Arrival
Qantas to Introduce World’s Longest Flight From Perth (PER) to London (LHR)
Details — Australian carrier Qantas announced it will fly from Perth to London starting in March, 2018, flying the new route on its 787-9 Dreamliner on what will become the world’s longest commercial flight, an 8,824-mile journey clocking in at 17.5 hours long. The flight schedule has yet to be released.
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured image of Stockholm courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!