This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last night, a Lufthansa flight bound for Frankfurt (FRA) from Houston (IAH) was diverted to New York’s JFK airport following a bomb threat. LH441 was en route when Lufthansa corporate headquarters received a phone call with the threat. Once the pilot was notified of the threat, he decided to divert the plane to JFK.
— Fox5NY (@fox5ny) December 13, 2016
The A380 landed at JFK, at which point it taxied to a remote area on the tarmac. From there, all 530 or so passengers and crew were evacuated and bussed to another location as authorities swept through the aircraft and passenger luggage to look for any sign of a bomb. Around 1:00am, the aircraft was deemed clear and nothing suspicious was found.
As of this morning, Lufthansa tweeted that it provided passengers an overnight hotel stay and rebooked them on other flights. This isn’t the first time in recent weeks that a flight has received a bomb threat. In fact, this past weekend a flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Newark (EWR) received a bomb threat but it continued to its final destination, and a flight carrying the Boston Celtics received a hoax bomb threat, but it also landed at its scheduled destination in Oklahoma City (OKC).
H/T: CBS News
Featured image courtesy of Gerard Gaudin via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards