This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Yesterday’s Norwegian deal from New York’s JFK to Oslo and Stockholm starting at $195 round-trip is still available to book, but if you’re looking for another option, Norwegian Air Shuttle is offering flights from JFK to Helsinki, Finland (HEL) starting at just $269 round-trip. Or, if you’re looking for a full-service airline or a nonstop routing, you could fly Finnair nonstop from JFK-HEL starting at just $412 round-trip, an especially appealing option if you’re a Oneworld elite.
The easiest way to get a low price is to use the Google Flights “separate tickets” feature. For some itineraries, Google Flights will prompt you to book the outbound and inbound segments separately. You’ll usually book one leg through the US version of the site, and the other through a foreign site. However, to save even more, you can find a low-priced itinerary on Google Flights and then head to the Norwegian or Swedish version of the carrier’s site and input those dates directly.
Airlines: Norwegian and Finnair
Route: JFK to HEL
Cost: $269+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January — March 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Helsinki (HEL) on Norwegian Air for 2,344 NOK (US $269) round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Helsinki (HEL) on Finnair for $412 round-trip via AA codeshare:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of Helsinki courtesy of BlueJayPhoto via Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards