This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
South Africa is a dream destination for many people, and South African Airways is making it much more affordable with some great deals from New York (JFK) and Washington, D.C. (IAD). We’re seeing fares as low as $654 round-trip from JFK and IAD to Johannesburg (JNB). If you’re based in New York, your flights will be nonstop and operated by the carrier’s A340-600, a special treat for Avgeeks. If you’re departing from D.C., you’ll have a stop in either Accra, Ghana (ACC) or Dakar, Senegal (DKR) in each direction. Fares are valid for departures from January through March 2017, but don’t wait to book if you’ve been wanting to visit South Africa. Note, too, that if you’d like to visit Cape Town (CPT), fares are just marginally higher — around $800 round-trip for the same timeframe.
Airline: South African Airways
Route: JFK, IAD – JNB
Cost: $654+ round-trip
Dates: January – March 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: American Express Platinum Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $654 round-trip in January:
Washington, D.C. (IAD) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $654 round-trip in February:
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.