This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Chase Freedom‘s first quarter bonus for 2017 is now available for enrollment. With this latest offer, you can earn 5% cash back (or 5x Chase Ultimate Rewards points) from January 1 to March 31, 2017, on purchases at gas stations and local commuter transportation. As always, remember that the 5% or 5x bonus earning is only available for the first $1,500 spent in combined purchases during that period.
If you don’t yet have the Chase Freedom Card, you can still sign up in time to take advantage of this bonus, which lasts through March 31, 2017. The card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points) after you spend $500 on purchases within the first three months. With the card, you’ll earn 5% cash back (or 5x points) on new categories every quarter and 1% cash back (or 1x Ultimate Rewards points) on everything else. If you have an Ultimate Rewards-earning card, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Ink Business Preferred, you can convert the cash back you earn to valuable Ultimate Rewards points. From there, the points can be transferred to airline and hotel partners, giving you the best value.
If you already have the card, you can click here to enroll in the next round of bonus earning. You can visit the Chase website to see the detailed list of 101 gas station merchants and 18 types of local commuter transportation that are included in the bonus earning. Here are some notable exclusions for both categories (you can find the full lists on Chase’s website).
For gas stations:
- Grocery stores
- Dairies/farm stores
- Warehouse stores
- Truck stops
For local commuter transportation:
- All transportation outside the US
- National and international trains (such as Amtrak)
- Park and ride facilities
- School/university buses and transit
- Bike sharing services
With this enrollment announcement, we also know what the second bonus will be for 2017. From April to June, 2017, you’ll earn 5x points or 5% cash back on purchases at grocery stores and drugstores (not including Walmart and Target purchases). However, that bonus isn’t yet eligible for enrollment. You can enroll for the Q2 bonus beginning March 15, 2017.
Don’t forget that if you’re a current cardholder, there’s still time to take advantage of the Q4 bonus, which ends on December 31, 2016, and includes purchases at department stores, wholesale clubs and drugstores. Keep this in mind if you have the Freedom in your wallet and are getting some last-minute holiday shopping done!
Featured image courtesy of dolgachov via Getty Images.
It's a stellar cash back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee