This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
British Airways is offering round-trip flights from US and Canadian cities to London from just $462 round-trip, including cities on the West Coast. For example, you can fly nonstop from Los Angeles to London for only $554, which is phenomenal for long-haul service. Availability is wide open too, with flights being offered from now through September 2017. These prices are even available in peak summer travel months. You may also be able to find similar fares on flights operated by American, Delta, United and Virgin Atlantic.
Finally, these flights are eligible for the AARP and Visa discounts, which in some cases will bring your fare as low as $330 round-trip. This is a fantastic deal and might not last long, so book now and plan later!
Airline: British Airways and American
Route: BOS, EWR, IAD, JFK, LAX, ORD, PHL, YUL, YVR, YYZ to LGW and LHR
Cost: $462 round-trip in economy ($330+ with discounts)
Dates: December — September 2017
Booking Link: British Airways
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Boston (BOS) to London (LHR) for $462 round-trip in June:
Boston (BOS) to London (LHR) for $330 round-trip in December (with AARP and Visa discounts):
New York (JFK) to London (LHR) for $517 round-trip in March:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for $554 round-trip in May:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of London courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards