This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Last week, JetBlue was offering fantastic prices on transcontinental flights from New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). Now, other airlines are getting in on this low-fare fun, offering round-trip tickets from just $216 round-trip. If you’re looking to do an end-of-year mileage run to push yourself over the threshold for a certain elite status, this is definitely a no-brainer! However, these fares seem to only be available on certain days in early December, so you’ll have to have some flexibility in order to take advantage of this deal.
Airline: American, Delta, JetBlue, United and Virgin America
Route: JFK — LAX, SFO
Cost: $216+ round-trip
Dates: December 2016
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: American Express Platinum Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $216 round-trip on JetBlue:
Newark (EWR) to San Francisco (SFO) for $216 round-trip on United:
Newark (EWR) to San Francisco (SFO) for $216 round-trip on Virgin America:
New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) for $223 round-trip on American:
New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $236 round-trip on Delta:
New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $236 round-trip on JetBlue:
Newark (EWR) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $236 round-trip on United:
New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $256 round-trip on Virgin America:
New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $266 round-trip on American:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of San Francisco courtesy of Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards