This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
During the summer, Aeroplan ran a promotion where you could earn a 55,000-mile bonus when you transferred hotel points to the program. Now, it’s offering another promo — but this one’s a little different. Instead of earning a fixed number of bonus miles, you can earn up to a 30% bonus on transferred hotel points between now and December 12, 2016. This offer is tiered, meaning you’ll receive a more lucrative bonus as you transfer more points.
While not all hotel programs are participating in the promotion, you’ll notice that there’s still an extensive list of partners that you can transfer from, including Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards (remember that you can now transfer points between SPG and Marriott) and Hilton HHonors. Further, this offer is cumulative based on the total number of points you transfer from all programs — meaning you can transfer smaller amounts of points from several programs to meet the threshold needed to trigger the bonus you want. Note that transfers from American Express Membership Rewards aren’t valid for this offer.
Despite a devaluation of the program last year, Aeroplan still provides opportunities for great redemptions and you’re able to redeem your points to cover taxes and surcharges — although this isn’t the best use of miles. Transferring points from SPG presents a unique opportunity, since members can earn 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 SPG points transferred. In this case, if you were to transfer 160,000 Starpoints, your Aeroplan balance would be 200,000 miles (thanks to a 40,000-mile bonus due to transferring to SPG), and then you’ll receive the maximum transfer bonus from this promotion, which would give you a total of 260,000 miles.
You may be better off transferring Starpoints to Marriott first, though, in order to take advantage of that program’s Hotel + Air packages. For a total of 500,000 Marriott Rewards points (167,000 Starpoints), you’ll end up with 200,000 Aeroplan miles plus two 7-night stays in a Category 1-5 Marriott hotel. If you’re able to transfer points in from other programs, the 120,000-mile package (with one 7-night stay for 270,000 MR points or 90,000 Starpoints) may make more sense.
H/T: One Mile At a Time
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.