This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines is currently offering discounts on award bookings made through the carrier’s website. Book between now and November 16 to save 30% when you redeem KrisFlyer miles for flights on Singapore Airlines or its regional subsidiary SilkAir in economy and premium economy classes only between February 6 and May 31, 2017. The discounted fares begin at 5,250 miles each way for short economy flights all the way up to 49,000 each way for long-haul flights in premium economy between New York and Singapore.
Here’s an example of an economy flight between New York (JFK) and Singapore (SIN). When you search for the flight on Singapore’s site, it displays the cost as 37,500 miles one-way, but when you select the flight and continue to booking, the cost drops to 26,250 miles plus $277 one-way. If you were to buy the same flight in cash, it’d set you back $536.
Singapore charges hefty fees on award bookings, so you’ll have to do some number-crunching to see if a redemption makes sense for you. TPG values KrisFlyer miles at 1.5 cents per point, meaning that in this case you’d effectively be paying another $394 in KrisFlyer miles to redeem the flight, which would put you over the revenue cost of the ticket.
Remember that if you’re looking to give your KrisFlyer account a boost, you can transfer points from all major transferable currencies, including Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou.
Are you planning on redeeming KrisFlyer miles for flights during this promotion?
H/T: Live From a Lounge
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards