Save 30% On KrisFlyer Redemptions for Singapore and SilkAir Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines is currently offering discounts on award bookings made through the carrier’s website. Book between now and November 16 to save 30% when you redeem KrisFlyer miles for flights on Singapore Airlines or its regional subsidiary SilkAir in economy and premium economy classes only between February 6 and May 31, 2017. The discounted fares begin at 5,250 miles each way for short economy flights all the way up to 49,000 each way for long-haul flights in premium economy between New York and Singapore.
Here’s an example of an economy flight between New York (JFK) and Singapore (SIN). When you search for the flight on Singapore’s site, it displays the cost as 37,500 miles one-way, but when you select the flight and continue to booking, the cost drops to 26,250 miles plus $277 one-way. If you were to buy the same flight in cash, it’d set you back $536.
Singapore charges hefty fees on award bookings, so you’ll have to do some number-crunching to see if a redemption makes sense for you. TPG values KrisFlyer miles at 1.5 cents per point, meaning that in this case you’d effectively be paying another $394 in KrisFlyer miles to redeem the flight, which would put you over the revenue cost of the ticket.
Remember that if you’re looking to give your KrisFlyer account a boost, you can transfer points from all major transferable currencies, including Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou.
Are you planning on redeeming KrisFlyer miles for flights during this promotion?
H/T: Live From a Lounge
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.