This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When reports first emerged that new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones contained batteries that caused them to catch fire, several airlines immediately acted, more often than not, by stopping people from using them on the plane. Following another incident on a Southwest flight, in which similar explosions were caused by Samsung’s replacement devices, the Department of Transportation stepped in last week, effectively banning all Galaxy Note 7 phones from planes in the US.
In an effort to redeem itself in the eyes of the phone-toting public, Samsung recently began setting up kiosks before security checkpoints in several airports around the world to help collect the self-destructing devices.
As of this writing, there are collection points set up in South Korea (ICN), Hong Kong (HKG), Singapore (SIN), Zurich (ZRH) and Moscow (DME). You’ll also find them in Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), Taiwan (at TPE, KHH, TXG and TSA) and here in the US (at ATL, LAX, ORD, DFW, JFK, DEN, SFO, CLT, LAS and PHX). Samsung is also planning to expand the service to more airports in the future.
H/T: Ars Technica
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards