This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ryanair, the European low-cost carrier notorious for charging for basic amenities, will start imposing a fee for early online check-in as of November 1, 2016.
Previously, Ryanair allowed free check-in up to seven days before a flight. Now that time window has been shortened to between four days and two hours before a flight. If you want to check in ahead of time, you’ll be charged a 6-euro (~$7) fee.
Though this may not seem like a huge deal, it’s important to note that Ryanair only allows online check-in up to two hours before a flight. After that time, passengers must check in at the airport, which costs about $49 (45 euros).
And while Ryanair does allow check-in via an app, not all airports accept mobile boarding passes. So if you’re somewhere without access to a printer (or reliable internet), you may be looking at huge fees. However, if you’re willing to pay for seat selection (between ~$9 and ~$17), you can check in up to 30 days in advance.
So if you’re booking Ryanair for last-minute trips or because of the low costs, remember to budget for those extra fees (and set calendar reminders if you don’t want to pony up the additional cash).
How early do you check-in for a flight?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards