This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Priority Pass and Japan Airlines recently teamed up for a new promotion that allows you to redeem 40,000 JAL Mileage Bank miles for a one-year Priority Pass Prestige membership, giving you access to more than 950 lounges around the world.
If you don’t have enough JAL miles saved up to take advantage of the promo, keep in mind that you can always transfer Starpoints to JAL at a 1:1 ratio (before factoring in the 5,000-mile bonus when you transfer 20,000 points), although it’s really not a great Starpoints redemption option, not to mention it’ll take seven days for them to transfer. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, Starpoints are worth 2.7 cents apiece, meaning the 40,000 you’d be transferring from SPG to JAL are worth about $1,080. Given that a one-year Priority Pass Prestige membership only costs $399, it’s a pretty bad deal if you’re planning to use Starpoints.
If you do want to take advantage of this promotion, go to JAL’s website and select the Priority Pass membership option. Depending on how you’re targeted by Amex, the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express comes with a sign-up bonus of either two free nights or 25,000 Starpoints after you spend $3,000 within the first three months of opening your account. And even if you are targeted for the two free nights offer, you can still earn double Starpoints on eligible Starwood purchases. Plus, you’ll get 2x points per dollar when you use the card at Marriott hotels, a happy side effect of the Starwood-Marriott merger.
H/T: View From the Wing
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels and 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 points) at a participating hotel. Select hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees