This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Combining some of today’s most popular lifestyle trends — tiny houses, off-the-grid living, disconnecting from your devices and embracing the beauty of Mother Nature — PurePods offers quiet-seeking travelers a truly unique opportunity to commune with nature in the New Zealand wilderness.
The company, founded with the goal of totally engaging its clients’ five senses, has set up a series of small, all-glass cabins — yes, that means the floors are see-through, too — in three different locations in New Zealand that, quite literally, let you sleep under the stars. The best part: all three are within a 2.5-hour drive of Christchurch, followed by a short hike to your final destination.
According to Curbed, each of these teeny tiny residences features one bedroom, a kitchen, a dining area and gorgeous 360-degree views of glorious natural surroundings that make guests feel as if they’re the only people in the world.
PurePods are eco-friendly, too. The cabin’s water and cooking devices are solar powered — you’ll have access to a gas cooktop and a barbecue, while your selected food will be waiting for you upon arrival. “While it operates entirely off-the-grid, with minimal environmental impact and maximum sympathy to the landscape, the PurePod is built for luxury,” the company’s website states. The experience comes “as close as possible to a five-star hotel without leaving the wilderness.”
If your first question is “What sort of activities are available?,” you’re missing the point entirely. Though there is a USB outlet and a Bluetooth speaker, there’s no Wi-Fi and no cell phone reception, so you’d better get your need to binge-watch Netflix out on the flight. “Just breathe deeply, take time to reflect and experience nature at nature’s pace,” suggests the company.
You can expect to pay $490 a night for this luxurious outdoor experience. Note that PurePods’ Little River location about an hour outside Christchurch is currently booked solid through January 2, though there’s more availability at the Kaikoura-Kahutara and Kaikoura-Manakau cabins, each located 20 minutes from Kaikoura or about 2.5 hours from Christchurch. Check out the video below for a look at the all-glass cabin experience.
Featured image courtesy of PurePods’ Facebook page.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.