This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, Cathay Pacific announced that its version of the Queen of the Skies would be making a final farewell flight, giving folks in Hong Kong a chance to see the 747 in Cathay livery one last time. Well, this morning, at 10:23am local time, B-HUJ took off from HKG, and at 10:30am the plane began its flyover at just 195 knots and 1,950 feet. You can “play” the flight on Flightradar24 here.
Cathay Pacific captured a video of the flyover, which you can see below.
— Cathay Pacific (@cathaypacific) October 8, 2016
Locals were able to snap some pretty fantastic photos as well — here’s one from Bloomberg photographer Justin Chin:
— Justin Chin (@JustinChinPhoto) October 8, 2016
And some lucky Hong Kongers even managed to get on board:
— Suleman Siddiqui (@suleman201) October 8, 2016
While, sadly, this marks the end of Cathay Pacific’s 747, there’s no question that passengers will have a better in-flight experience flying the carrier’s newer planes, such as the Airbus A350. I’ve flown Cathay first on both the 747 and 777-300ER — the 777 seat was recently refreshed, and both products are nearly identical.
Unfortunately it can be much more difficult (though not impossible) to score multiple first-class awards on the 777, given that there are three fewer seats, but if you’re able to find availability there are some fantastic redemptions to be had.
Have you flown Cathay Pacific’s 747?
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards