This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to sightsee before your flight home from London but have nowhere to stow your bag? If you’re flying British Airways, there’s now a solution for that. In partnership with London-based start-up AirPortr, BA has launched a bag check service available from anywhere in the city.
The service is offered for British Airways-operated flights leaving from Heathrow, Gatwick or London City, excluding domestic UK service and flights from London City to New York-JFK. Just check in 24 hours before your flight and schedule a pick up from anywhere in the cit. AirPortr will stow your bag and either check it through to your arrival destination or hold it for you to pick up at the airport. Your bag must be picked up a minimum of seven hours before your flight.
The system is pretty easy to use, and it costs 20 GBP (~$24) to 4O GBP (~$49), depending on where and when you want to pick up your bag (either at AirPortr’s airport desk before your flight or at your destination if you check it through). The service works in reverse as well: You can schedule a bag pickup at the airport and a drop-off anywhere in London.
And if you’re concerned about losing your bag, know this: AirPortr tags, seals and GPS-tracks luggage using a unique number. The company also emails and texts passengers with updates throughout the bag’s journey.
There are a few other airlines that offer some type of in-advance bag check. For example, Swiss allows you to check your bag in 23 hours before departure, but you’ll have to drop it off at the airport at a scheduled time. Not nearly as convenient as having bags picked up where you’re staying.
Service starts as of October 25 (for travel on October 26) and you can order it via BA or AirPortr’s websites.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Would you check your bags in advance of your flight?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards