This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express
If you’re in the market for a solid cash-back card and frequently shop at Amazon, it could be worth taking a look at these two options. Currently, the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express or the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, are offering 10% back on up to $2,000 spent with Amazon — in addition to the standard welcome bonus for each card. Note that this offer is only available for new cardholders, and it’s available through January 11, 2017.
Assuming you were to max out this offer by spending $2,000 with the e-tailer using one of these cards, you’d get $200 back. The Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred aren’t the only cards currently offering an extra incentive for making purchases through Amazon; you’ll earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined spending at Amazon.com (and at department stores and Sam’s Club) with the Discover it® Card, and if we’re lucky we’ll see the 10%/10x bonus on Amazon purchases on the Chase Freedom Card again this November. Still, the last quarter of the year is a notoriously busy shopping season — and especially if you frequently purchase groceries through Amazon, it might not be hard to max out the $1,500 bonus caps on the Discover It and Chase Freedom.
Below is a bit more info about each of these Blue Cash cards to help you decide if it’s worth applying — note that you may be targeted for a higher offer.
With the current welcome offers, you could get up to $300 back on top of the 10% back on Amazon purchases. And if the Blue Cash Everyday’s bonus categories look familiar, it’s because this is more or less the cash-back version of the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express (with an added bonus category for US gas stations and without the 20% points bonus when you make at least 20 purchases in a month). Of course, with the Blue Cash Everyday, you’ll be earning cash back instead of Membership Rewards points.
With this card, the current welcome offers get you up to $350 in cash back — not counting the $200 back you could earn by spending $2,000 on Amazon. Unlike the Blue Cash Everyday, the Blue Cash Preferred Card carries a fee: $95 per year. But in addition to offering a slightly higher bonus, this card offers higher cash-back bonus rates: 6% back on the first $6,000 spent at US supermarkets (vs. 3%) and 3% at US gas stations and select department stores (vs. 2%). The Blue Cash Preferred Card could also ring a bell if you’re familiar with the Amex EveryDay Preferred Card from American Express — as it offers the same bonus categories, albeit earning you cash rather than points and without a 50% bonus when you use the card at least 30 times in a billing period.
If you’re looking for a cash-back card and you know you’ll be able to maximize the 10% back on Amazon purchases, now could be a great time to apply for the Blue Cash Everyday or Blue Cash Preferred card. They aren’t your only choices for earning extra rewards on Amazon purchases, but if you’ll be maxing out the bonuses offered on other cards like the Discover It, and the Blue Cash card’s bonus categories align with your spending habits, they could make sense for you. Just remember the this 10% offer for Amazon spending ends on January 11, 2017, so make sure you apply and maximize the bonus before then.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
What’s your favorite card for earning bonus rewards on Amazon purchases?
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees