When Does the Sapphire Reserve Travel Credit Expire?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Chase Sapphire Reserve
TPG reader Gilbert emailed me to ask about the timeline for using one of his credit card benefits:
“Does the $300 travel statement credit on the Sapphire Reserve card have an expiration?”
Several of the top rewards credit cards offer statement credits for travel purchases, which can help offset a large portion of the annual fee. The terms and conditions typically specify a period of eligibility for each credit, so you have a limited amount of time to either use it or lose it. To make sure you get full value from these card benefits, it’s important to understand precisely when they expire.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve offers an annual $300 travel statement credit that’s clearly the most lucrative and flexible benefit of its kind. You can use it to cover a wide variety of travel-related purchases, ranging from airfare and hotels to miscellaneous expenses like taxis and parking garages. Another great feature is that the credit posts quickly to your account, so you don’t have to wait for it or file a request for reimbursement. Best of all, the benefit is renewed each year; the only tricky part is knowing precisely when that happens.
There seems to be a discrepancy between how the benefit is described and how it’s implemented. According to the Chase website, the $300 statement credit is available for your first year as a cardholder from the date your account is opened through your December statement date (i.e., when your statement closes in December). You then get another credit valid for the next 12 billing cycles (through the following December statement date).
Keep in mind that there may be a delay between when you swipe your card and when a transaction actually posts to your account. Charges usually show up within 72 hours, but it can occasionally take longer. The benefit doesn’t apply to transactions that are still pending, so I recommend completing purchases by Christmas in order to use up any remaining credit before the year ends.
For more on travel credits and the Sapphire Reserve card, check out these posts:
- Top Credit Cards for Cash Back Rewards and Statement Credits
- Everything You Need to Know About Chase Sapphire Reserve Perks
- Do Charges Offset by Credits Count Toward a Sign-Up Bonus?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.