This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 10/26/16: Good news! British Airways and AARP have extended the deadline for booking until January 31, 2017. At this time, the deadline for travel is still March 31, 2017. We will update you as soon as this is extended. Offer expired on March 31, 2017.
One of the best discounts around was just extended for bookings through the end of the year. Now through December 31, AARP members can save $65 to $400 off per person on a British Airways round-trip. Under the current version of this promotion, the discount is valid for flights departing by March 31, 2017.
- $65 off travel in World Traveller — see our reviews of the British Airways A380, 787-8 and 747-400
- $130 off travel in World Traveller Plus
- $400 off travel in Club World (business class) — see our reviews of the British Airways 747-400, 777-200 and A380
- $400 off travel in first
There are few restrictions on this promotion. Obviously, you need to be an AARP member — but anyone can become a member for just $16 a year. Your flights have to originate in the US and fly transatlantic. Unfortunately, no open jaws are allowed. All flights must be flown on American Airlines, British Airways, Open Skies, Finnair and/or Iberia. Lastly, you must book through the British Airways’ AARP webpage.
The terms and conditions state that “this offer is not combinable with any other discount or deal.” However, in practice, we have found that this offer is indeed combinable with the 10% discount for paying with your British Airways Visa Signature Card. Combining these two promotions, we have found extraordinary deals from the US to Europe starting at just $1,058 round-trip in business class.
Already an AARP member and wondering how to get the discount? Here’s a step-by-step guide.
Have you taken advantage of the AARP discount?
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios.
- Earn a further 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 100,000 bonus Avios.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.