Moving Points From the Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
My husband recently pulled the trigger on the new Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, and thankfully was approved and will be the very happy recipient of 100,000 Ultimate Reward points as soon as he hits the $4,000 minimum spending requirement in the first three months.
Probably like many of you, he has had the Chase Sapphire Preferred for several years and had been racking up points on it at a rate of 2x points on travel and dining, 1x elsewhere. Now that he has the Chase Sapphire Reserve that will earn 3x on travel and dining, 1x elsewhere, the Sapphire Preferred Card will likely be “retired” from his wallet. However, he wants to be sure to move over the 44,000+ points he has on that card to the Sapphire Reserve, especially since they are worth more when associated with the Sapphire Reserve than with the Sapphire Preferred if you want to use them to pay for travel through the Chase website.
To move his points over to the Reserve Card, he first logged into his Chase account and went to his old Sapphire Preferred Card.
From there he clicked on the point balance on the upper right hand side to reveal an drop down box where you can select “combine points”. You can combine points to another Ultimate Rewards earning card you have, or one held by one household member who is also an authorized user.
He then opted to move all of his points on the Sapphire Preferred over to the Sapphire Reserve.
This process was instant, and as you can see below via the Sapphire Preferred his 44,869 points were previously worth $560.86 towards travel via the Chase website, or 1.25 cents each via that card.
Now that the points have been moved to the Sapphire Reserve they were immediately worth $673.04 towards travel if he decides to use them in that manner since they are worth 1.5 cents each towards travel with that card.
Getting $113 in additional value for your points to use towards travel simply by moving them from one card to the next is not chump change, and it makes the Sapphire Reserve potentially even more valuable if you like to use your points in that manner. We don’t traditionally use our Ultimate Reward points at a fixed value for travel since we like to transfer to partners like United and Hyatt, but at 1.5 cents each it isn’t a bad deal, especially if you use to it purchase an airline ticket that would then earn miles on top of that.
Between the additional value added to our “old” Ultimate Reward points with the transfer, the $300 travel credit each calendar year, the 3x points on travel and dining, and of course the 100,000 sign-up bonus points, the $450 annual fee the Sapphire Reserve carries is well worth the expense in my opinion.
I’m still waiting to drop below 5/24 in December to hopefully get my own Sapphire Reserve, but we are making the most of his shiny new card for the time being! Anyone else already do the point switch over from the Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees