This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
See the answers to your most pressing SPG/Marriott Rewards questions in our post-merger Q&A with the heads of both programs.
In case you missed the news overnight, Marriott’s acquisition of Starwood has now closed. Much to our surprise (and great relief), at the same time, Marriott launched the option to link accounts and transfer points between SPG and Marriott Rewards. Members will receive an instant status match and points can be transferred at a very reasonable rate of 1 Starpoint to 3 Marriott Rewards points.
As of now, Marriott’s site is live — you can link your accounts, receive your matched status and transfer points right away. I’ll run through this process below.
1. Go to Marriott’s new members site.
2. Sign in to your Marriott account (or start with Ritz-Carlton or SPG).
3. Sign in to your SPG account.
4. Click “Link” on Marriott’s site.
I received confirmation right away and my Marriott status was instantly upgraded to Platinum Elite to match SPG Platinum.
Once your accounts are linked, you can begin the instant transfers.
Transferring Points to Starwood
1. Sign in to your Marriott Rewards account.
2. Click “Transfer Now” on Marriott’s site and enter the number of points.
3. Choose an option to confirm your identity (if required)
4. Check your email and type in the temporary code (mine arrived instantly)
5. Verify your transfer
Your points should be transferred right away.
I received an email confirmation as well.
You can also transfer points in the other direction — from Starwood to Marriott.
Transferring Points to Marriott
1. Log in to your SPG account.
2. Click “Transfer Starpoints to Rewards Points.”
3. Enter the number of points to transfer.
4. Verify details and click “Complete Transfer.”
You should receive a confirmation message.
I received a confirmation email as well.
My Starpoints appeared in my Marriott account instantly.
And my Marriott Rewards points appeared instantly in my Starwood account as well.
There’s no reason not to link your accounts and receive an instant status match, and with Marriott offering unrestricted (and instant) transfers in either direction, there’s no disadvantage to transferring as many points between programs as often as you’d like. We were initially told that the match and transfers would take several hours to complete, but both processes are instant.
We’ll have more news to share regarding the Marriott/Starwood merger in the weeks and months to come, and we’ll be digging into some of the topics Marriott has not yet addressed in our Facebook Live session with David Flueck and Thom Kozik, the heads of Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards, later this morning. Be sure to tune in at 10am ET!
Featured image courtesy of the Miami Airport Marriott.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.