9 Surprising JetBlue Routes You May Not Know About
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While primarily thought of as a domestic carrier, JetBlue actually flies to Mexico and more than a dozen countries throughout Central and South America and the Caribbean, and with the JetBlue Plus Card now on the market, it can be easy to rack up thousands of TrueBlue points in a short amount of time.
From the gateway to the Galápagos, to the tallest mountain in North America, here are nine of the most unique routes JetBlue operates, in case you’re feeling adventurous and have some TrueBlue points to spare.
1. Fort Lauderdale to Quito, Ecuador (FLL–UIO)
Quito, known as being the Gateway to the Galápagos, offers something for all travelers. From cobblestone streets to traditional cuisine, this vibrant capital city should be your first stop on any Ecuadorian adventure. Once you get here, hop a two-hour flight on LAN and Avianca from Quito to Baltra (GPS) in the Galápagos, making these magical islands more accessible than ever, especially when using TrueBlue points to get from the US to Ecuador.
2. Fort Lauderdale to Lima, Peru (FLL–LIM)
Lima, Peru’s capital city, is known for being a big foodie city — its Miraflores district is also home to several top notch points hotels, including the Four Points by Sheraton Miraflores, an SPG Category 4 property. San Isidro is another great neighborhood worth exploring. Outside Lima, the charming colonial city of Cuzco is just a one-hour flight away, making a great base for bucket list trips to Machu Picchu. Other Peruvian hotspots like the Nazca Lines, Lake Titicaca and the Peruvian Amazon are all quick hops from Lima, too.
3. New York to Cartagena, Colombia (JFK–CTG)
Cartagena is home to a historic walled city and a warm, tropical climate year-round — as you can imagine, its location along the Caribbean Sea makes it a popular beach destination. JetBlue operates the route seasonally, with service year-round at least once a week, and flights increasing to daily frequency during peak season.
4. New York to Liberia, Costa Rica (JFK–LIR)
Liberia makes a great starting point for your next Costa Rican adventure, especially since the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and Arenal Volcano are both within a three-hour drive. The Guanacaste province is also home to many beaches and resorts along the Pacific, like the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, where TPG spent his birthday this year.
5. Fort Lauderdale to Santa Clara, Cuba (FLL–SNU)
On August 31, JetBlue became the first American carrier to launch commercial flights from the US to Cuba, with its new service to Santa Clara. While other airlines like American and Silver Airways are offering competitive prices, JetBlue’s start at just $99 each way and include the mandatory tourist card and health insurance, which American Airlines, on the other hand, requires you to obtain separately prior to your trip. The TrueBlue points redemptions to Cuba aren’t too shabby either.
6. Portland, Oregon to Anchorage, Alaska (PDX–ANC)
JetBlue recently expanded to the 49th state, with service from Oregon to Anchorage seasonally through the middle of September. Deals are frequent on this route, with flights starting at about $67 each way. Anchorage is within a four-hour drive of Denali National Park, home to Mount McKinley, the tallest peak in North America. Fairbanks is another two hours north, and one of the best places in Alaska to see the Northern Lights.
7. New York to Ponce, Puerto Rico (JFK–PSE)
While many airlines fly straight into San Juan, JetBlue is the only one that operates daily flights to Ponce, the second-largest city in Puerto Rico, located along the southern coast about a 90-minute drive from San Juan.
8. New York to Hyannis, Cape Cod (JFK–HYA)
While other airlines fly from New York to small New England resort towns like Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket, JetBlue is the sole airline operating flights from New York to the Cape. Hyannis is located about halfway between Nantucket and Provincetown, and while driving up from NYC might be a fun road trip option, JetBlue gets you there in about an hour of flying time — that’s hard to beat.
9. New York to Reno-Tahoe (JFK–RNO)
If you’re suddenly struck with the urge to go skiing alongside a beautiful western Alpine lake, look no further than JetBlue’s nonstop service from New York to Reno-Tahoe. While the carrier flies to these places year-round, daily service fluctuates depending on the season.
What are your favorite JetBlue routes? Sound off below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.