Exciting New Routes for September 2016 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (e.g., flight schedules, aircraft and more) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN SEPTEMBER 2016
Newark (EWR) and Hartford (BDL) – Dublin (DUB) on Aer Lingus (launched September 1 and September 28, respectively)
Details — Aer Lingus has expanded its route network connecting the US and Ireland, and its latest flights to launch are Newark to Dublin on its Airbus A330 and Hartford, CT to Dublin on its Boeing 757. Back in May, the carrier launched nonstop service between Los Angeles and the Irish capital.
- EI100 Newark (EWR) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 4:50am +1 Arrival
- EI101 Dublin (DUB) 12:55pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 3:15pm Arrival
- EI130 Hartford (BDL) 6:10pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 5:20am +1 Arrival
- EI131 Dublin (DUB) 2:40pm Departure ⇒ Hartford (BDL) 4:40pm Arrival
Los Angeles (LAX) – Hong Kong (HKG) on American Airlines (launched September 7)
Details — AA now offers daily service between LAX and Hong Kong, providing an alternative to Cathay Pacific’s nonstop service on this same route. The carrier operates this route on its Boeing 777-300ER, configured with three cabins.
- AA193 Los Angeles (LAX) 1:55am Departure ⇒ Hong Kong (HKG) 8:10am (+1) Arrival
- AA192 Hong Kong (HKG) 8:20pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 6:40pm Arrival
Seattle (SEA) – Shenzhen (SZX) on Xiamen Air (launched September 26)
Details — Chinese carrier Xiamen Air just launched thrice-weekly service between Shenzhen (SZX) and Seattle (SEA). Flights in both directions depart on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and the airline operates this new route with its three-cabin Boeing 787 aircraft.
Schedule (3x per week):
- MF846 Seattle (SEA) 1:25pm Departure ⇒ Shenzhen (SZX) 6:25pm +1 Arrival
- MF845 Shenzhen (SZX) 12:45pm Departure ⇒ Seattle (SEA) 10:25am Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN SEPTEMBER 2016
American to Launch Seasonal Service Between Dallas and Amsterdam/Rome
Details — Starting in early May 2017, American will offer nonstop flights between Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) and both Amsterdam (AMS) and Rome (FCO). Both routes will operate on a daily basis, however the flights are seasonal from May to September. The Dallas-Amsterdam route will be serviced by a Boeing 767, while the Dallas-Rome route will use a 777.
- AA220 Dallas (DFW) 3:30pm Departure ⇒ Amsterdam (AMS) 8:25am +1 Arrival
- AA221 Amsterdam (AMS) 10:25am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DFW) 2:35pm Arrival
- AA238 Dallas (DFW) 3:05pm Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 9:20am +1 Arrival
- AA239 Rome (FCO) 11:20am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DFW) 5:00pm Arrival
Alitalia to Offer Flights Between Rome and Havana
Details — US airlines aren’t the only ones adding routes to Cuba now that the travel ban’s been lifted; European carriers are launching new flights to the island as well. Starting on November 29, 2016, Alitalia will connect Rome and Havana with twice-weekly service (on Tuesdays and Saturdays in both directions) on its Boeing 777 aircraft.
- AZ632 Rome (FCO) 9:05am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 3:00pm Arrival
- AZ633 Havana (HAV) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 9:00am +1 Arrival
- AZ632 Rome (FCO) 10:35am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 4:30pm Arrival
- AZ633 Havana (HAV) 6:30pm Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 10:30am +1 Arrival
Finnair to Offer Seasonal Service Between San Francisco and Helsinki
Details — Starting on June 1, 2017, Finnair will offer nonstop flights between its Helsinki hub and San Francisco (SFO). San Francisco will be the airline’s fourth US destination, and its first American destination on the West Coast. The carrier will operate flights on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays using its Airbus A330 aircraft. Note that service is seasonal, so it will run from June 1 to September 30 each year.
Schedule (3x per week):
- AY12 San Francisco (SFO) 7:10pm Departure ⇒ Helsinki (HEL) 3:30pm +1 Arrival
- AY11 Helsinki (HEL) 4:25pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 5:20pm Arrival
People’s Viennaline Will Soon Operate the World’s Shortest International Flight, Between Germany and Switzerland
Details — Once it launches this route on November 2, 2016, Austrian carrier People’s Viennaline will hold the distinction of operating the world’s shortest flight between two countries. The 13-mile route between St. Gallen, Switzerland (ACH) and Friedrichshafen, Germany (FDH) lasts just 8 minutes, though it’s blocked for 20.
Schedule (2x per day):
- PE200 St. Gallen (ACH) 6:30am Departure ⇒ Friedrichshafen (FDH) 6:50am Arrival
- PE202 St. Gallen (ACH) 5:20pm Departure ⇒ Friedrichshafen (FDH) 5:40pm Arrival
- PE201 Friedrichshafen (FDH) 9:50am Departure ⇒ St. Gallen (ACH) 10:10am Arrival
- PE203 Friedrichshafen (FDH) 8:40pm Departure ⇒ St. Gallen (ACH) 9:00pm Arrival
American Launching Seasonal Dreamliner Service Between Chicago and Barcelona in Spring 2017
Details — The final item in this round-up is another upcoming route from American Airlines. Starting May 5, 2017, the carrier will offer once-daily nonstop flights between Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Barcelona (BCN). This new route will be operated with a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and it will run seasonally from May to September. In addition to launching this new route with a 787, American will be adding Dreamliner service to two existing routes: Dallas (DFW) to Paris (CDG) starting January 9, 2017, and Dallas (DFW) to Seoul (ICN) starting February 16, 2017.
- AA40 Chicago (ORD) 5:15pm Departure ⇒ Barcelona (BCN) 9:15am +1 Arrival
- AA41 Barcelona (BCN) 11:45am Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 2:45pm Arrival
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Welcome to The Points Guy!