This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your SkyMiles may soon take you farther across the globe than ever before. This week, Delta announced that it’s expanding its partnership with Jet Airways. While the changes have yet to be put in place, you’ll soon be able to both earn and redeem SkyMiles for Jet Airways flights.
Unfamiliar with Jet Airways? Not surprising. Currently, Jet Airways operates just one flight to North America — between Toronto (YYZ) and Amsterdam (AMS). However, Jet Airways has a rather extensive route network throughout India, the Middle East and South Asia. And flying with the India-based carrier might be worth the detour. Jet Airways has a solid on-board first class hard product, as TPG experienced on a recent Etihad flight operated by Jet Airways.
New Delta Routes
Thanks to this partnership, which expends another codeshare agreement from March, Delta-loyal flyers will be able to fly to 20 Indian destinations on Delta-marketed flights. Previously, you’d have to rely on Air France-, KLM- or Jet Airways-marketed flights to reach these destinations. Since Jet Airways isn’t a SkyMiles partner at this time, Jet Airways-marketed flights currently don’t earn any Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQM) and Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQD).
For cheap flights to India, it might still make sense to use Air France- or KLM-marketed flights, as these flights earn MQMs and MQDs based on a percentage of flight miles rather than based on cost. Delta has yet to release the SkyMiles earning chart for Jet Airways flights. So, we will have to see if Jet Airways is treated preferentially — like KLM and Air France — or as one of its lower-tier partners.
Using Jet Airways Miles for Delta Flights
If you have Jet Airways miles, you’re already able to use your JPMiles miles to book United flights inside the US. Once this agreement goes into effect, you’ll also be able redeem them for Delta flights. However, the redemption chart for Delta flights hasn’t been released yet, so we’ll have to wait to see if there are any sweet spots. Just make sure to hold back 15,036 JPMiles so you can be greeted by a giant teddy bear the next time you land in Hyderabad.
H/T: Rapid Travel Chai
Featured image by SAJJAD HUSSAIN/AFP/Getty Images.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.